There are some common mistakes in first aid. And most of us tend to do them because we have been seeing everyone following certain practices.
But what if such practices are just first aid myths? What if they do have certain consequences? Yes, though some methods seem like remedies they could do more harm than good.
Also Read: Reasons Why You Get Bruised Easily
Well, here are some such practices. It is better to correct the common mistakes in first aid.
When Applying Ice Pack....
Never put ice cube on skin directly. That could result in something known as cold burn which means the ice cubes may affect the skin. What is the right way to do it? Place the ice cubes in a cloth and then place it on the affected area.
Removing Dust Particle In The Eye
When a dust particle falls in the eye, don't try to remove it using your fingers. Any slight mistake or jerk can pierce the eye. Call a doctor.
Also Read:7 Ways To Deal With Injury Marks
Do you use alcohol or vinegar as external remedies for fever? If you smear either of these ingredients on the skin to reduce body temperature, they may get mixed into the blood stream.
Alcohol may cause intoxication and vinegar could cause acidity. Go to the doctor to get rid of fever.
When it comes to dealing with wounds, applying ointment could create moisture and block the air supply to the wound. Instead, it is better to wash the wound and dress it up with bandage.
Applying Butter On Burns
Though butter gives a cold sensation on the skin when applied after a burn, it isn't a good practice. The butter may form a layer on skin when it becomes dry.
This could block the pores and the skin may feel more heat. Instead, place the affected area of skin under running tap water to find relief and then consult a doctor.
When A Person Is Unconscious
If someone around is unconscious, it isn't advisable to pour water on the face. Also, it is not advisable to offer a fainted person coffee or any drink that contains caffeine. Also, never lift a person soon after he or she faints. Consult a doctor immediately.
- What? Is Ice Bad For Injuries?
- New Biomarkers May Help Detect Brain Injury Faster
- Facts About Bathroom Falls And Injuries Among The Elderly
- Home Remedies For Swelling After An Injury
- Why Cleaning Ear Wax With Cotton Buds Is Bad?
- 7 Surprising Ways Your Workout Shoes Are Harming Your Health!
- Never Ignore These Types Of Leg Pain, They Are Dangerous!
- Yoga-Related Injury Rising In Elderly: Study
- 7 Silent Signs Of Nerve Damage You Must Not Ignore
- 7 Scary Facts About Seizures That You Must Read!
- What Causes Knee Injuries And Knee Pain?
- This Woman Got The First Face Transplant
- What Happens To Your Organs During Pregnancy