- 23 min ago Doja Cat's Faux Mustache And Beard Look Reads Quirky At PFW 2023, Pics!
- 1 hr ago Bitter Foods For Babies: Is It Healthy? How To Get Your Baby To Eat Bitter Foods? List Of Safe Foods
- 1 hr ago Huma Qureshi's Monochrome Outfit Is All About Acing Casual Chic Style, Pics!
- 2 hrs ago How To Discipline Children Without Punishment
- News Kuno’s new cheetah, Sasha, who fell ill due to hepatorenal infection, doing much better, says officials
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Fans Trend ‘Shame On Farah Khan’ & ‘Most Loved Contestant Priyanka’ As Host Calls Her Vamp
- Sports Conor McGregor escapes unhurt after his bicycle was hit by car
- Education 5 Best English Books for UGC NET Exam Preparation
- Finance Budget Holds The Key Even As Bond Yields May Rise
- Technology Redmi Note 12 5G Vs Poco X4 Pro 5G: Specs, Display, Features, Compared
- Automobiles Tata Motors Announces Price Hike – Check Out All Details
- Travel Tata, Infosys Showing Interest In Monument Mitra Scheme, Know What It Is
A person is said to have spinal cord injury when there is damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal cord, leading to temporary or permanent changes in its function. The symptoms may include loss of sensation, loss of muscle function or autonomic function in the parts of the body.
The most common causes of spinal cord injury are violent acts, motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, falls, and other diseases such as osteoporosis, inflammation, arthritis, and cancer.
A person with spinal cord injury should consume nutrient-rich foods as they help in the recovery process.
Foods For Faster Recovery From Spinal Cord Injury
1. Oily fishes
A study showed that omega 3 fatty acids found in oily fishes could play an important role in speeding up recovery and help promote bone regeneration after spinal cord injury  . Consume oily fishes like salmon, mackerel, trout, and sardines as they are a good source of vitamin A and D as well.
2. Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits such as oranges, kiwis, grapefruits, and strawberries contain vitamin C which is vital for healing injured muscles, ligaments, tendons, and intervertebral disc. It also aids in the formation of collagen found in the bones, skin, muscles and tendons  .
3. Dark leafy greens
Magnesium found in green leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, and spinach help in promoting bone growth and neurological health, which is necessary for the recovery of spinal cord injury  .
A study showed that eating green or yellow vegetables can help people with spinal cord injury recovery. Broccoli, avocados, Brussels sprouts and collard greens contain vitamin K2 and magnesium and calcium which helps in the formation of bones in the spine  .
Include nuts into your diet as they are packed full of omega 3 fatty acids, fibre, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium, and phosphorous which are essential for the formation and strengthening of bones. Have nuts like cashews, almonds and walnuts as they will help in the recovery process.
A study found that almond skins aids in reducing the development of inflammation and tissue injury, which is useful in the treatment of spinal cord injury  .
Beans contain magnesium, fibre and protein that aid in the recovery of the spinal cord injury. Also, people with spinal cord injury experience bladder and bowel problems. So, including beans in your diet aids in digestion and prevents constipation.
6. Dairy products
Dairy products like cheese, yogurt and milk are an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D which aid in building and maintaining strong bones. It also assists in maintaining bone density and strengthens the muscles that support the spine  .
Tips For People With Spinal Cord Injury
- Consume 15-30 grams of fibre per day.
- Drink 1.5 litres of water every day.
- If you experience gas, limit the consumption of foods like cauliflower, radishes, dried beans, Brussels sprouts, raisins, bananas, peas, onions, celery and cabbage.
- Avoid foods that can cause constipation like white bread, cottage cheese, skimmed or low-fat milk, and meat.
Always keep in mind that eating foods rich in a high amount of nutrients benefit your physical and mental health. A healthy diet, body and mind are necessary for a happy recovery.
-  Lim, P. A., & Tow, A. M. (2007). Recovery and regeneration after spinal cord injury: a review and summary of recent literature.Annals-Academy of Medicine Singapore,36(1), 49.
-  Wang, W. G., Xiu, R. J., Xu, Z. W., Yin, Y. X., Feng, Y., Cao, X. C., & Wang, P. S. (2015). Protective effects of Vitamin C against spinal cord injury-induced renal damage through suppression of NF-κB and proinflammatory cytokines.Neurological Sciences,36(4), 521-526.
-  Süzer, T., Coskun, E., Islekel, H., & Tahta, K. (1999). Neuroprotective effect of magnesium on lipid peroxidation and axonal function after experimental spinal cord injury.Spinal cord,37(7), 480.
-  Mandalari, G., Genovese, T., Bisignano, C., Mazzon, E., Wickham, M. S. J., Di Paola, R., ... & Cuzzocrea, S. (2011). Neuroprotective effects of almond skins in experimental spinal cord injury.Clinical Nutrition,30(2), 221-233.
-  Tsunoda, N., Inayama, T., Hata, K., & Oka, J. (2015). Vegetable dishes, dairy products and fruits are key items mediating adequate dietary intake for Japanese adults with spinal cord injury.Spinal cord,53(11), 786.
- diet fitnessWhat Foods Are Best For You Based On Your Age
- insyncNew Year 2023: Foods That Will Bring Good Luck This Year
- wellnessDigestion Problems? Here Is A List Of Foods That Are Bad For Digestion
- nutrition6 Types Of Foods That Can Cause Cellulite
- nutrition7 Foods That Have The Biggest Impact On Blood Sugar Levels
- nutritionWorld TB Day 2022: Foods To Consume And Avoid By Tuberculosis Patients
- kidsExpert Article: Importance of Nutrition for Teenagers
- prenatalMother’s Day Special: Healthy Food For Moms After Second Pregnancy
- wellnessRamadan 2021: Foods To Eat And Avoid For Fasting Associated Dehydration
- nutritionAll The Foods That Make You Hungrier After Eating Them!
- wellnessBest Superfoods For Men And Women Over 40
- wellness28 Best Foods To Lower Cholesterol