As your bones and muscles get weak, the first thing you witness is pain and stiffness in the joints. This often affects your movement and your day-to-day activities as well. Once the bones become weak, the chances of bone fracture are more even with the slightest of fall.
If this problem persists and is not taken care of on time then it might lead to other serious health problems like arthritis and osteoporosis as well.
Also Read: Yoga To Improve Blood Circulation
So what leads to weakness of muscles and bones? Lack of adequate calcium and minerals are the foremost factors that affect bone health.
In order to get healthy bones and muscles there are several medicines and calcium supplements which are readily available over the drug counters and in the market. But for a few people this might cause certain side-effects as well.
Also Read: Yoga To Improve Digestion
Of all the tried and tested methods the best way to ensure healthy bones and relieve joint stiffness is practising yoga. The best part about yoga is that there is no fear of any side effects.
The Crescent Pose also known as the High Lunge Variation is one of the yoga asanas which is known to relieve joint stiffness. Since this asana requires a lot of balance, it might be difficult initially. However, with continuous practise it becomes easier.
Have a look at the step-wise procedure to perform the Crescent Pose.
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform The Crescent Pose:
1. To begin with, come to the downward facing dog pose.
2. Slowly lift your right leg and take it forward.
3. The right knee should be placed just above the right ankle.
4. Slowly move your arms up.
5. Make sure that the palms are facing each other and placed right above your head.
6. Slowly bend your back.
7. The sole of the foot and the tailbone should be stretched a bit.
8. Take a deep breath, open your chest and slowly move your head up and look at your hands above.
9. Hold on to the position for a few seconds.
10. Slowly come out of the position and repeat the same taking your left leg forward.
Other Benefits Of The Crescent Pose:
It helps to strengthen the legs.
It helps to strengthen the upper back and shoulders.
It helps to open up the hips and chest.
It helps to stretch the arms and hips.
It helps to improve respiration.
It helps to tone the abdomen.
It helps to energize the body.
For those having hip, arm or shoulder injuries and also those having blood pressure and heart problems should avoid doing this Crescent Pose. It should be practised only under the guidance of a yoga instructor.