Of the several factors for staying healthy, menstruation is one of the most important factors for females to remain healthy, especially in their reproductive age. It occurs once in a month.
When there is a disturbance in the normal menstruation cycle, it is termed as menstrual disorder. There are several reasons which give rise to this condition. Lack of proper nutrition, hormonal imbalance or certain existing medical conditions are responsible for this.
Also Read: Yoga Asana To Strengthen Knees And Ankles
Those having menstrual disorder witnesses pain during periods, changes in the length of the menstrual cycle accompanied by heavy or irregular periods.
People may resort to several medications and treatment procedures to cure menstrual disorder, but of all these, yoga is believed to have the best treatment. Padangusthasana is one such yoga asana which is found to have the best cure for menstrual disorder.
The word Padangusthasana comes from the Sanskrit word 'Pada' which means foot, 'Angusta' which means big toe and 'Asana' which means pose.
Also Read: Yoga to Get Flat Tummy
Padangusthasana is one of the basic and simple yoga asanas. Initially it might be difficult for beginners to hold their toes while keeping the knees straight, but with regular practise it becomes easy.
Here is a step-wise procedure to perform Padangusthasana. Have a look.
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform Padangusthasana:
1. Stand straight. Your feet should be placed parallel to each other.
2. Make sure that your thigh muscles are contracted.
3. Bend forward. See to it that your forehead touches the knees.
4. Both your head and torso should move together.
5. Firmly hold the big toe with the fingers on both sides.
6. Straighten your elbows, take a deep breath and slowly lift the torso.
7. Again bend towards your toes with your hands holding your toes.
8. Keep breathing continuously and get back to normal position.
9. Continue this for a few times for best results.
Other Benefits Of Padangusthasana:
Helps to calm the mind.
Helps to relieve stress.
Helps in digestion.
Helps to relieve headache.
Helps to activate the kidneys.
Helps to stretch the calves.
Helps to make the thighs strong.
Helps to stimulate the reproductive system.
Those having neck and lower back injuries need to avoid Padangusthasana. Though it is a simple yoga asana, but it is always better to practise Padangusthasana under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor.