- 27 min ago Ratan Tata, Anand Mahindra And Other Business Tycoons Who Came Foward To Fight Against Coronavirus
- 28 min ago Coronavirus: Fashion Brands That Are Making Masks To Support Medical Workers
- 5 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 29 March 2020
- 14 hrs ago How To Take Care Of A Patient With Suspected Or Confirmed COVID-19
- Sports Steve Smith again eligible for captaincy after two-year ban ends
- News Case against Congress corporator for asking nurse to vacate house
- Technology Realme 2020 Flagships To Have Higher Refresh Rate: Report
- Automobiles Top Car News Of The Week: 2020 Maruti Dzire, BS6 Mahindra Bolero, BS4 Deadline, & More
- Movies Vijay And Atlee To Join Hands Again For Thalapathy 66?
- Finance RBI ‘s EMI Moratorium: Higher Interest If You Opt For EMI Break
- Travel 10 Best Family Friendly Destinations To Visit In April In India
- Education Coronavirus Outbreak: NTA Helpline Numbers Released For JEE Main & NEET Aspirants
Proteins are body building components needed by the human body. They provide the necessary energy for the body to operate efficiently and are crucial for the growth of muscles. Proteins also are responsible for the growth of nails, a healthy skin and hair growth. Protein deficiency has adverse effects and might lead to medical conditions.
Children are most susceptible to the effects of lack of protein. Kwashiorkor is a disease that affects children when there is protein deficiency. The symptoms include a swollen abdomen, an enlarged liver, swollen feet, skin inflammation, skin depigmentation, tooth loss and thinning hair. It attacks their immune system and impairs their physical and mental development.
Also read: Why You Should Consume Proteins
Inadequate intake of protein causes oedema or fluid retention. This results in swelling in different parts of the body like the stomach, hands and feet. It also leads to stiff joints, high blood pressure and discoloured skin.
Protein deficiency also causes a disease called marasmus. The symptoms include weight loss, lack of energy and fatigue. As it attacks the immune system in individuals, patients are more likely to suffer from infections.
Protein deficiency affects the muscles and causes them to shrink which leads to weak muscles. It also results in a weak immune system as protein helps in the manufacture of antibodies. Lack of antibodies do not enable the body to fight off foreign objects.
Protein deficiency for a long time leads leads to depression, moodiness, crankiness and anxiety. It affects your mental health. It can also lead to organ failure in the long run because if the body does not get the required amount of protein, it will not be able to maintain and repair the cells of the body. This will not let the organs to function properly and ultimately cause their failure.
Hence, we can see that protein deficiency is a serious issue. It can also lead to the death of a person. So, make sure you consume protein-rich food like chicken, fish, lentils and certain fruits and vegetables. It is said that fifteen percent of your daily diet should comprise of proteins.