Heartburn, or acid reflux, is a condition wherein your stomach regurgitates acid into your oesophagus, throat, and mouth.
It fills your mouth with a sour taste and leaves you with an intense burning sensation in your chest that takes a while to clear away.
And the worst part is that those who suffer from frequent acid refluxes can develop a precancerous condition called Barrett's oesophagus, severe sensitivity of teeth, and gastroesophageal cancer.
So, here are 10 foods that can ease heartburn fast.
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger is a phenomenal root with incredible medicinal properties, which includes the ability to cure digestive problems and nausea.
And it is very effective for heartburn as well.
Here's how you can prepare it at home:-
- Peel an inch of ginger and grate it.
- Add it to a cup of water and boil the mixture for a few minutes.
- Allow the liquid to cool down, until it is lukewarm, and then drink it after your meal.
Bananas, especially the ripe ones, are great for easing heartburn, as they coat your oesophagus and reduce the burning sensation.
Please note: Bananas worsen acid reflux for 1% of the population. So, if you find this remedy disagreeing with you, please don't try it again.
Acid reflux is most commonly caused by spicy foods, deep-fried items, and certain other trigger foods. So, if you suffer from frequent bouts of it, try having a bowl of oatmeal for your breakfast or for one of your meals, as this humble food is great for easing your stomach acids.
4. Almond Milk
A great way to counter acid reflux is by neutralizing your gastric acid with alkaline foods. And almond milk is perfect for that.
In fact, a glass of almond-milk-based smoothie with a banana is even better!
5. Leafy Greens
People who suffer from heartburn after eating vegetables always have reflux triggers in the preparation, like cheese or cream. Because honestly, leafy greens never distress your stomach.
So if you have frequent acid reflux episodes, add more of leafy greens to your diet with a simple dressing of olive oil, as that will be friendlier to your stomach.
6. Fennel Seeds
Also called saunf in Hindi, fennel seeds are excellent digestive aids and are commonly consumed as an after-meal mouth freshener in India.
So, chew on a few of these seeds if you suffer from heartburn or have a little fennel tea after your meals to settle down your stomach.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera has incredible burn-healing properties. And it works wonders for heartburn as well.
You can either scoop out the gel fresh from a houseplant or can buy it from the supermarket.
Just remember to steer clear off the yellow-brown, waxy substance that leaks from its fleshy leaves if you are harvesting the gel at home, as it is a strong laxative.
Muskmelon is an almost-alkaline fruit and is great for acid reflux, as it can neutralize your raging stomach acids.
Just remember: Like the banana, muskmelon aggravates heartburn in a small percentage of people. So, if your reflux worsens after trying this remedy, then please don't try it again.
When it comes to fish, the baked, broiled, and sautéed varieties are better than the fried ones for heartburn.
So, if you are a fish-eater, you should definitely increase it in your diet.
Also called rava or suji in India, semolina is a complex carbohydrate product derived from wheat and is, therefore, excellent for heartburn, as it can settle down your stomach acids.
Share This Article!
Heartburn is more common than you would think. Share this article so that more people can read it and find some peace.
- Common Foods That Cause Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Pneumonia In Elderly Linked To Heartburn And Stomach Acid Drugs
- 12 Side Effects Of Green Tea You Probably Didn't Know
- 16 Awesome Health Benefits Of Fennel Tea
- Mix Baking Soda With Water & See What It Can Do To Your Body In 5 Minutes!
- Common Stomach Problems That Could Signal Serious Health Issues
- Overeating During Eid-ul-Fitr Can Cause These Health Problems
- 15 Natural Remedies For Heart Burn And Severe Acid Reflux
- These Are The Best Ways To Have Green Tea For Acid Reflux & Heart Burn Relief
- 7 Effective Natural Solutions For Heartburn That Actually Work
- Here Are Simple Ways To Prevent Heartburn, That Actually Work!
- If You Often Have Heartburns, Set An Earliest Date With The Doctor; It Can Be Dangerous