- 18 min ago Benefits Of Cooking In Mustard Oil
- 48 min ago Tonsillitis: Causes, Types, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 1 hr ago Karishma Tanna's Sari Photoshoot Is Stunning And Will Absolutely Leave You Intrigued
- 2 hrs ago Alaya F's Yellow Dress Is For Those Who Want To Keep It Simple And Sassy At Party Nights
- Sports Gaurav Gill and Yash Aradhya felicitated on a memorable day for Indian motorsports at the 2020 FMSCI Awards
- News HM Amit Shah to visit Kolkata on Sunday to 'clear confusion' on CAA
- Movies Shruti Haasan Opens Up On Suffering From PCOS, Experimenting With Lip Fillers
- Technology Everything You Should Know About Airtel Rs. 179, Rs. 279, And Rs. 349 Prepaid Plans
- Finance Govt’s Total Receipts In April-January At Rs 12.82 Lakh Crore
- Automobiles Mercedes-Benz E Class Facelift Models To Launch In India This Year: Details And Expected Price
- Education UPSC Tie-breaking Principles For Civil Services And Other Exams
- Travel March 2020: Indian Festivals And Events Guide
When a woman attains menopause there are several health risks that come in, for instance, low oestrogen, osteoporosis, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and weight gain. In this article, we will talk about what causes weight gain during menopause.
During menopause, managing weight becomes difficult and so most women gain weight when they enter menopause. It is estimated that women gain 1-2 kgs during the menopause transition, however, some women add on some extra kilos .
What Causes Weight Gain During Menopause?
- Hormonal changes - During menopause, there is a sharp decline in oestrogen levels. Estradiol is a form of oestrogen that helps regulate metabolism and body weight decreases during menopause. A decrease in estradiol leads to weight gain . Dr Sneha adds, "Hormonal changes influence the distribution of weight also- the weight is more central (near the abdomen) than peripheral (hips and thighs for women)."
- Lack of exercise - Most women are inactive and less likely to exercise as they reach menopause. This can be another reason for weight gain .
- Poor sleep - Poor sleep quality has been linked to weight gain during menopause. When the ovaries no longer produce enough amounts of oestrogen and progesterone, it can lead to symptoms like hot flashes and sweating. This makes it difficult to sleep at night .
- Eating unhealthy foods - Following a healthy, well-balanced diet is essential during menopause. But, if you gorge on processed and spicy foods, this may lead to weight gain .
- Genetics - Another cause of menopausal weight gain is genetic factors.
Another contributing factor for weight gain during menopause is a rise in appetite. "External factors like medication could cause weight gain," adds Dr Sneha. A study showed that ghrelin, the hunger hormone were found to be higher among perimenopausal women than postmenopausal and premenopausal women .
Health Risks Of Weight Gain During Menopause
Excess weight around the abdomen leads to many health risks which include the following:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Breathing problems
Ways To Prevent Weight Gain During Menopause
- Exercise - Aerobic exercise and strength training can help in shedding off those extra kilos and aid in managing weight .
- Cut down on fast foods - Lower your calorie intake by cutting down on processed and fried foods. This will prevent weight gain during menopause.
- Limit alcohol - Drinking excess alcohol can increase weight gain.
- Eat healthy foods - Eat foods which are rich in fibre, protein and other essential vitamins and minerals to lower the risk of weight gain.
- Relax - Get adequate sleep as this will help keep your hormones and hunger under control. Dr Sneha adds, "Hormone levels will drop during menopause, weight reducing measures should focus on the other aspects."
- Incorporating these lifestyle habits will help you maintain weight when you reach menopause. Although it can be difficult, start slowly and you will see a healthier you.