- 2 hrs ago Akshaya Patra Starts COVID-19 Relief Feeding Centre In Bengaluru, Home Minister of Karnataka Launches the Prog
- 5 hrs ago Eid ul-Fitr: Sania Mirza Flaunts A Dark Green Suit, Gives Us A Twinning Moment With Her Son; Pictures Inside!
- 6 hrs ago Dare To Copy: Kartik Aaryan Flaunts Stylish Long Hair As He Sends Out Eid Wishes To Fans On Instagram
- 11 hrs ago Happy Birthday Madhuri Dixit: 5 Beautiful Ensembles Of The Diva To Keep You Ethnically-Inspired For Weddings
- News Covid-19 situation stabilising in India: Centre
- Movies Khatron Ke Khiladi 11 To Have Only 12 Episodes?
- Education IIIT-Delhi Announces Season 5 Of The Summer Camp For Government School Students
- Sports Djokovic rallies to reign over Tsitsipas in Rome
- Finance Next GST Council Meet Scheduled For May 28: Check Key Issues To Be Addressed
- Automobiles Hero MotoCorp To Resume Operations From May 17 In A Staggered Manner In The Country
- Technology Oppo Find X3 Pro Mars Exploration Edition With 65W Charging Launched: Coming To India?
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In May
Backache or back pain is a common condition that people of all age groups suffer. Millions of people around the world experience back pain problems at some point in their lives. The strenuous activities that one has to do these days is one of the main causes of back pain.
Backache can also occur due to a number of reasons which include stress, improper diet, muscle tension, lack of exercise, poor body postures, excess body weight and arduous physical labour.
The symptoms of back pain include stiffness in the spine, a chronic ache in the lower back or around the hips, difficulty in sleeping on the bed and inability to stand or sit for a long period of time.
It is important to not ignore this health issue as it may cause other serious health problems in the future. However, it is easy to treat back pain and there are a number of natural remedies for back pain that can be used for instant relief.
Certain herbs like willow bark and devil's claw possess anti-inflammatory properties which may be useful for back pain relief. White willow bark contains a compound called salicin, which gets converted into salicylic acid in the body, aids in relieving pain and inflammation  .
Devil's claw contains chemical compounds called harpagosides, which possess anti-inflammatory properties  .
2. Capsaicin cream
Chillies contain an active ingredient called capsaicin which has been found to deplete a neurochemical that causes pain, causing an analgesic effect. A study shows the effectiveness of capsaicin in the treatment of chronic pain  .
Note: Consult a doctor before applying capsaicin cream.
Garlic is a magical spice that can help treat back pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains a natural compound called allicin, which works as a painkiller  .
- Eating two to three garlic cloves daily in the morning on an empty stomach will help reduce back pain.
Ginger is another spice which is known to possess anti-inflammatory compounds that help relieve back pain  . To reduce discomfort and pain, use ginger in cooking or you can drink ginger tea daily.
5. Hot and cold compress
A study published in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research shows the efficacy of hot and cold compress in treating low back pain  . Cold compress such as ice packs are beneficial when you have strained your back. It provides a numbing effect on back pain.
Heat compress such as heating pads or hot water relieves stiff or achy muscles.
- If you apply an ice pack, do not apply it for more than 20 minutes.
- You can either apply a hot or cold compress as much as possible during the day depending on the pain.
6. Virgin coconut oil
Virgin coconut oil possesses anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic properties  . Coconut oil can treat all kinds of back pain so, try applying coconut oil for instant relief.
- Apply few drops of virgin coconut oil in the affected area and massage it for 10 minutes.
Do this thrice a day.
7. Chamomile tea
For centuries, chamomile tea has been used in treating pain. The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea can naturally lower back pain and provide instant relief  .
- Drink chamomile tea thrice a day.
8. Turmeric milk
Turmeric is a natural home remedy and an effective ingredient that is always available in the kitchen. Curcumin, a compound in turmeric, is known to reduce inflammation and milk is rich in calcium and vitamin D that help keep the bones strong.
- Drink turmeric milk before going to sleep.
9. Extra-virgin olive oil
Olive oil contains a compound called oleocanthal that helps to relieve pain. It is also a natural pain reliever that has fantastic health benefits and is also known to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Apply a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil in the area and massage it gently for 10 minutes.
Yoga brings flexibility and strength in the body which helps in relieving back pain. A study shows the treatment of chronic low back pain with the help of yoga  .
When To See A Doctor
- When the pain lasts for more than 6 weeks
- When the pain wakes you up at night
- When you have extreme stomach pain
- When the pain gets worse, even after treatments at home
- When the pain is accompanied by weakness or numbness in the arms and legs
-  Chrubasik, S., Eisenberg, E., Balan, E., Weinberger, T., Luzzati, R., & Conradt, C. (2000). Treatment of low back pain exacerbations with willow bark extract: a randomized double-blind study.The American journal of medicine,109(1), 9-14.
-  Gagnier, J. J., Chrubasik, S., & Manheimer, E. (2004). Harpgophytum procumbens for osteoarthritis and low back pain: a systematic review.BMC complementary and alternative medicine,4, 13.
-  Mason, L., Moore, R. A., Derry, S., Edwards, J. E., & McQuay, H. J. (2004). Systematic review of topical capsaicin for the treatment of chronic pain.BMJ (Clinical research ed.),328(7446), 991.
-  Maroon, J. C., Bost, J. W., & Maroon, A. (2010). Natural anti-inflammatory agents for pain relief.Surgical neurology international,1, 80.
-  Dehghan, M., & Farahbod, F. (2014). The efficacy of thermotherapy and cryotherapy on pain relief in patients with acute low back pain, a clinical trial study.Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR,8(9), LC01–LC4.
-  Intahphuak, S., Khonsung, P., & Panthong, A. (2010). Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil.Pharmaceutical biology,48(2), 151-157.
-  Srivastava, J. K., Shankar, E., & Gupta, S. (2010). Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future.Molecular medicine reports,3(6), 895–901.
-  Wieland, L. S., Skoetz, N., Pilkington, K., Vempati, R., D'Adamo, C. R., & Berman, B. M. (2017). Yoga treatment for chronic non-specific low back pain.The Cochrane database of systematic reviews,1(1), CD010671.