- Technology Last Week Most Trending Smartphones: OnePlus Nord CE 5G, Redmi Note 10, Poco X3 Pro, Galaxy A12 And More
- Movies Exclusive: Aamir Khan On Lagaan's Making, The Oscars Loss, And How Ex-Wife Reena Deserves Credit For The Film
- Sports Euro 2020: Poland 1-2 Slovakia: Skriniar secures shock Group E win
- News Delhi govt bans soaps, detergents not conforming to latest BIS parameters to curb pollution
- Finance 25 Common Errors Being Faced By Taxpayers On The New Income Tax Portal 2.0
- Automobiles MG Motor Converts The Hector Plus SUV Into Covid-19 Mobile Testing Unit: Read More To Find Out!
- Education From Harvard To Columbia: Top US Colleges Offering Online Courses
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Mizoram In June 2021
At least once or twice in the past, when you're trying to sleep, you might have experienced a sudden jerk. You tend to wake up all of a sudden due to that jolt.
Sometimes, you get a sensation of a sudden fall and that might wake you up from the sleep. Such an experience could suddenly shock anyone.
Well, it is known as hypnic jerk. It occurs due to twitching of muscles. The action occurs involuntarily. It could occur to most of us at least once in a lifetime.
Just as your body almost falls asleep, you could wake up due to the jerk. It occurs exactly when your body reaches a point known as hypnagogic state.
What could be the reason behind that jerk? Well, exhaustion and fatigue. When your body is extremely tired, your brain may hastily process the sleep stages.
This could cause confusion inside your organs. In that confused state, when your body thinks that there is something wrong, it tries to wake you up immediately.
Your body releases certain chemicals all of a sudden to wake you up immediately. In fact, sometimes your body also creates a dream which suits the context and wakes you up suddenly. It could also be a nightmare that wakes you up quickly.
What could cause these hypnic jerks? Stress, anxiety, caffeine, alcohol and even over-exercising in the evening could cause those jerks.
Also, if your sleeping position isn't relaxing, or when you are too tired, a jerk might occur when you almost fall asleep.
How to prevent these hypnic jerks? Consuming foods rich in magnesium could help you relax and fall asleep smoothly. Mediation and yoga might also help relax your body.