- 1 hr ago First Aid For Acid Attacks: What You Can Do As A Witness
- 1 hr ago Anand Mahindra Says We Should Stop Making Excuses After Watching 72-YO Woman's Workout Video
- 1 hr ago 10 Amazing Tips To Ensure That You Have A Perfect Manicure At Home
- 2 hrs ago #ThisHappened2019: Most-Mentioned Politicians On Twitter In India
- Sports Yuvraj Singh most searched Indian sportsperson in 2019 in the country; Rishabh Pant second athlete in top ten
- Movies Karan Johar Opens Up On Mid-Life Crisis; Says He Has Started Wearing More Bling Because Of It
- Technology ISRO Successfully Launches Risat Surveillance, Nine Commercial Satellites In 21 Minutes
- News Citizenship Bill protests: CM Sarbananda Sonowal stranded at Guwahati airport
- Finance Facebook, Google No Longer In The List Of Top 10 Workplaces
- Travel 10 Best Places In India To Enjoy Christmas Vacation With Family
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Well-toned thighs are every person's dream and why not? Who doesn't want lean looking legs which they can flaunt with confidence? So, in this article, we will be writing about how to reduce thigh fat at home.
Unwanted thigh fat is mostly seen in women than men. However, men also tend to have thigh fat as well. Also, from the time of birth to six years of age, the number and size of fat cells increase in both girls and boys resulting in a proportional increase in body fat.
But as you age, the hormones trigger the accumulation of fat around the thighs, hips and buttocks of women and in the abdominal region for men. Throughout their lives, women have a higher percentage of body fat because, after the age of eight, girls begin to gain fat mass at a greater rate compared to boys. This acceleration of fat is attributed mostly to the changes in female hormone levels.
Another disadvantage that women experience with thigh fat is cellulite, which makes the skin on the thighs look dimpled and lumpy. It happens when excess fat deposits push through the connective tissue beneath the skin. In men, cellulite isn't much noticeable because it most often appears in the waist or in the abdomen.
A combination of diet and exercise is required in order to lose fat from your thighs and other parts of the body. Here's how you can reduce thigh fat.
1. Hydrate Your Body
Hydrating your body with water will not only ward away dehydration but also will help in losing fat as it aids in flushing out the harmful toxins, and transports nutrients to the cells, etc . For well-toned thighs, drink 7 to 8 glasses of water daily.
Avoid having sodas, energy drinks or concentrated juices as they contain empty calories and plenty of sugar. Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before every meal as this will trick your mind into believing that your stomach is full and you will have lesser cravings. This will help in losing thigh fat and overall body fat as well  .
2. Cut Back On Simple Carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates are bad for you when it comes to losing thigh fat. It's because they are low in fibre and digested quickly which will cause a spike in blood sugar levels and contribute to overeating  . On the other hand, consumption of complex carbohydrates are good for you because they are absorbed more slowly by your body and keeps your tummy full for longer due to the high fibre content. Examples of complex carbs are whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat, oats, etc.
3. Have Fruits And Vegetables
Fruits and veggies are considered the best foods when it comes to losing thigh fat as they are very low in calories and eating them in large portions won't affect your body in any way  . This will keep you satiated for a longer period of time. Eat fresh fruits and veggies by adding them to soups and salads instead of having it with salad dressings and sauces.
4. Increase Protein Intake
Protein is a macronutrient that can help keep you fuller on fewer calories. This makes it easier to tone your thighs and burn overall body fat. According to a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people following higher-protein diets burn more calories and they keep them more satiated after meals  . Also having a high-protein diet will give you lean muscle mass and that's essential when you are trying to tone your thighs.
5. Eat More Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are present in fishes like salmon, mackerel, herring, etc. These fatty acids are required by the body for smooth tissue and skin. The cellulite in the thighs can be broken down with the help of antioxidants present in these oily fishes and furthermore, the presence of omega 3 fatty acids can repair the skin tissues . So aim for 4-5 servings of oily fishes weekly to promote cellulite reduction.
6. Reduce Salt Intake
Consumption of excess salty foods will cause retention of excess water that bloats your abdomen, hips and thighs. The more salt you consume, the more water gets stored in your body instead of being filtered out by the kidneys. This causes hypertension  . According to the American Heart Association, people need 2,300 mg of sodium per day and having more than this amount in the form of sauces, canned soups and fries will wreck your system.
7. Walking (Treadmill)
Is walking good for slimming thighs? Walking works both ways - one, it serves as a lower body toning workout and two, it helps in burning calories throughout the body. You can start by walking at a normal pace but, ensure that your each step is stronger. As you get used to walking, gradually increase your pace, this will put pressure on your thighs and burn fat  . Aim for 30 minutes of walk per day.
8. Do Squats
Squats are the perfect exercise for those who carry extra body fat in their thighs, hips and butt. Squats help to build lean muscle mass and provide smaller, tighter and toned thighs. It can also aid in reducing cellulite only when you combine it with a healthy diet. Remember the more calories you burn, the more fat you lose from your thighs and entire body.
9. Jumping Rope
According to the American Council on Exercise losing fat just from one particular area of the body isn't possible, you need to lose fat from the entire body including thighs. Performing jumping rope exercise helps in losing overall body weight and trims your thighs. It works by activating the major muscles of the lower body and increases lean muscle mass. This exercise builds up your muscular endurance, instead of muscular thighs which will let you see a reduction in the size of your legs as you lose weight.
10. Running (Treadmill)
When you are running, you burn calories and it promotes leaner thighs . However, if you run for one or two days and take a break for a week and start again for a few days will not give you great results. You need to run daily at a moderate pace to burn thigh fat effectively. Aim for 30 minutes of running per day.
Cycling is a cardiovascular exercise that will help reduce overall body fat including thighs  . Riding a cycle works on your thighs by reducing the fat on your thighs. Moreover, you will burn a lot of calories while cycling which will depend on the intensity of your workout and your weight.
Certain yoga poses can help trim your thighs like warrior pose, crescent lunge, goddess pose, side lunge, eagle pose, aeroplane pose, dancer pose, and chair pose. Any yoga pose that lets you balance on one leg is going to challenge your thighs. However, these yoga poses do not directly target your thighs, it also works on losing overall body fat.
Other Useful Tips For Burning Thigh Fat
- Climb stairs instead of taking the elevator whenever necessary.
- Tracking your meals will let you keep a tab on how much you are eating.
- Avoid having fatty food items like cupcakes, hot dogs, burgers, etc.
- Get enough sleep every day as sleep is known to help in losing weight.
-  Popkin, B. M., D’Anci, K. E., & Rosenberg, I. H. (2010). Water, hydration, and health. Nutrition Reviews, 68(8), 439–458. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2010.00304.x
-  Vij, V. A. K., & Joshi, A. S. (2014). Effect of excessive water intake on body weight, body mass index, body fat, and appetite of overweight female participants. Journal of natural science, biology, and medicine, 5(2), 340.
-  Ludwig, D. S., Majzoub, J. A., Al-Zahrani, A., Dallal, G. E., Blanco, I., & Roberts, S. B. (1999). High glycemic index foods, overeating, and obesity. Pediatrics, 103(3), e26-e26.
-  Charlton, K., Kowal, P., Soriano, M. M., Williams, S., Banks, E., Vo, K., & Byles, J. (2014). Fruit and vegetable intake and body mass index in a large sample of middle-aged Australian men and women. Nutrients, 6(6), 2305-2319.
-  Leidy, H. J., Clifton, P. M., Astrup, A., Wycherley, T. P., Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S., Luscombe-Marsh, N. D., … Mattes, R. D. (2015). The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 101(6), 1320S–1329S.
-  Buckley, J. D., & Howe, P. R. (2010). Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may be beneficial for reducing obesity—a review. Nutrients, 2(12), 1212-1230.
-  Ryan, A. S., Nicklas, B. J., Berman, D. M., & Dennis, K. E. (2000). Dietary restriction and walking reduce fat deposition in the midthigh in obese older women–. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 72(3), 708-713.
-  Dahl, L. K. (1961). Possible role of chronic excess salt consumption in the pathogenesis of essential hypertension. American Journal of Cardiology, 8(4), 571-575.
-  Williams, P. T. (2013). Greater weight loss from running than walking during 6.2-yr prospective follow-up. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 45(4), 706.
-  Quist, J. S., Rosenkilde, M., Petersen, M. B., Gram, A. S., Sjödin, A., & Stallknecht, B. (2017). Effects of active commuting and leisure-time exercise on fat loss in women and men with overweight and obesity: a randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Obesity, 42(3), 469–478.