- 6 hrs ago Priyanka Chopra Jonas Beckons Us To Pair Cycling Shorts With A Breezy Top
- 8 hrs ago Daughters Day 2019: 7 Ways How A Liberal Upbringing Can Help Daughters To Become Strong Women
- 8 hrs ago Navratri 2019: Messages & Greetings To Send To Your Loved Ones
- 9 hrs ago Saif Ali Khan And Soha Ali Khan Inspire Us To Wear Understated Outfits This Durga Puja
- News "Howdy Houston!" says Modi on arrival for a week-long US visit
- Automobiles Gaurav Gill Involved In An Accident During The INRC At Jodhpur: Three Dead Including A Minor
- Movies Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Are ECSTATIC About Gully Boy’s Oscar Entry; 'Making A Mark On World Stage'
- Sports PKL 2019: Clinical UP Yoddha end Tamil Thalaivas' playoff chances
- Technology Common 4G LTE Problems and Fixes
- Finance Still Waiting For Income Tax Refund: You Might Have Gone Wrong Here
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
Leucine is known to increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance in bodybuilders and athletes alike. It is found naturally in many food sources and is also most commonly taken in supplement form  .
What Is Leucine?
Leucine is an essential amino acid that is important in muscle synthesis. It contains an alpha-amino group, a side chain isobutyl group, and an alpha-carboxylic acid group which make it a branched-chain amino acid.
During exercise, these amino acids are broken down in the muscles, which increases energy and muscle synthesis. Leucine has numerous health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Leucine
1. Controls blood sugar
Leucine can help maintain blood sugar or lower hyperglycemia. According to a study published in the journal Metabolism, leucine, when taken along with glucose, helped trigger insulin secretion and decrease blood sugar levels  .
2. Helps in fat loss
If you want to shed some extra body fat, leucine is what you need. A 2015 study showed that leucine decreases the accumulation of fat during ageing and prevents the risk of obesity  .
3. Builds muscles
Leucine is one of the popular supplement among bodybuilders and athletes because it helps in building muscles. Incorporate a lot of foods rich in leucine into your diet to promote the growth of muscles.
4. Prevents muscle loss and promotes muscle recovery
Leucine slows down the deterioration of muscles to decrease the effects of ageing. A study showed that this amino acid improved muscle synthesis in older adults when the recommended amount of protein per meal is consumed  .
5. Improves physical performance
According to a study, the intake of leucine supplementation for six weeks improved both endurance and upper body strength in competitive canoeists  . It also increases lean tissue mass and functional performance in older adults  .
Foods Rich In Leucine
|Food sources (100 g)||Amount of leucine (mg)|
Dosage Of Leucine
Leucine is both used in capsule and powder form and the dose should be between 2,000 to 5,000 mg per day. It should be taken along with low-protein meals for maximum benefits.
Disclaimer: Please consult an expert before consumption
Precautions To Take While Having Leucine
The intake of leucine supplement can elevate the risk of chronic fatigue and impaired coordination. It may also interfere with the production of niacin from L-tryptophan. According to a research study, leucine can also reduce the release of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and anxiety  .
Studies suggest that to minimize the risk of leucine side effects, the intake of leucine should be limited to less than 500 mg/kg of body weight  .
-  Mero, A. (1999). Leucine supplementation and intensive training.Sports Medicine,27(6), 347-358.
-  Kalogeropoulou, D., LaFave, L., Schweim, K., Gannon, M. C., & Nuttall, F. Q. (2008). Leucine, when ingested with glucose, synergistically stimulates insulin secretion and lowers blood glucose.Metabolism-Clinical and Experimental,57(12), 1747-1752.
-  Pedroso, J. A., Zampieri, T. T., & Donato, J., Jr (2015). Reviewing the Effects of L-Leucine Supplementation in the Regulation of Food Intake, Energy Balance, and Glucose Homeostasis.Nutrients,7(5), 3914–3937.
-  Casperson, S. L., Sheffield-Moore, M., Hewlings, S. J., & Paddon-Jones, D. (2012). Leucine supplementation chronically improves muscle protein synthesis in older adults consuming the RDA for protein.Clinical nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland),31(4), 512–519.
-  Crowe, M. J., Weatherson, J. N., & Bowden, B. F. (2006). Effects of dietary leucine supplementation on exercise performance.European journal of applied physiology,97(6), 664-672.
-  Ispoglou, T., White, H., Preston, T., McElhone, S., McKenna, J., & Hind, K. (2016). Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial of L-Leucine-enriched amino-acid mixtures on body composition and physical performance in men and women aged 65-75 years.European journal of clinical nutrition,70(2), 182–188.
-  Fernstrom, J. D. (2005). Branched-chain amino acids and brain function.The Journal of nutrition,135(6), 1539S-1546S.
-  Rasmussen, B., Gilbert, E., Turki, A., Madden, K., & Elango, R. (2016). Determination of the safety of leucine supplementation in healthy elderly men.Amino acids,48(7), 1707-1716.