- 2 hrs ago Women Have a Higher Risk for Knee Injuries Than Men
- 2 hrs ago Exclusive: Monika Dugar Talks About Her Collection That Aims At Helping Parkinson's Disease Patients
- 3 hrs ago Ash Wednesday 2020: Know The History And Significance Of This Day
- 4 hrs ago Sonam Kapoor Exudes Boss Lady Vibes In A Classy Golden Pantsuit And It’s Treat To Our Eyes
- Sports Maria Sharapova announces retirement from tennis
- News Pak a leading exporter of terror, can''t lecture on rights: India
- Movies Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2 Promo: Anurag Kills Prerna; Makers Ask Fans To Guess #AnuNePreKoKyoMaara!
- Technology Airtel Revises International Packs: Everything You Should Know
- Finance Due To Coronavirus, China Now Has More Billionaires Than US And India Combined
- Travel Least Polluted Cities In India
- Automobiles Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Models To Launch In India On 5 March: Details And Expected Prices
- Education Top 20 Universities In Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020
Do you know how much time does an average person spend on their mobile phones in a day? According to a report, 'A decade of digital dependency', about 40 per cent of adults and 65 per cent of people aged below 35 in the UK look at their phone within five minutes of waking up. And 37 per cent of adults and 60 per cent of adults under 35 check their mobile phones before going to sleep.
Most people spend half a quarter of their lives on their mobile phones and this takes a toll on their health, especially eyes. Yes, that's right studies have shown that blue light emitted from smartphones, laptops and other handheld devices are harmful to your eyes.
What Is Blue Light?
Blue light is the visible light that has a wavelength between 400 and 450 nanometers (nm). The blue light has a shorter wavelength and produces a high amount of energy. This is one of the reasons why long-term exposure to blue light has the ability to damage your eyes .
What Devices Emit Blue Light?
- LED light
- CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs
- Fluorescent light
- LED televisions
How Does Blue Light Emitted From Mobile Phones Damage Your Eyes?
Retinal is a small molecule produced by the eye which helps in proper vision. The emission of blue light from the mobile phones trigger the retinal and this causes various chemical reactions. These chemical reactions damage the photoreceptor cells molecules that contain retinal. When these photoreceptor cells are damaged, it causes age-related macular degeneration, dry eye, and cataracts .
The major function of the photoreceptor cells is it captures visual images and signals them to the brain using the retinal molecule.
According to a research study at The University of Toledo, blue light emitted from mobile phones speeds up age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness. Ajith Karunarathne, PhD, assistant professor at the University of Toledo's department of chemistry and biochemistry revealed that the toxicity generated by the blue light can kill the photoreceptor cells and it can kill any cell type.
Furthermore, the researcher found that alpha tocopherol, a molecule is a derivative of vitamin E that works as an antioxidant in the body. When a person has aged or has a weakened immunity, their bodies lose the ability to fight against the attack by blue light .
Ways To Protect Your Eyes From The Blue Light
- Spend less time on your mobile or laptop screens.
- Wear computer glasses to ease the eye strain and block the blue light coming from the computer.
- Use a screen filter for computer screens, smartphones, and tablets.