- 58 min ago How To Prevent Oily Eyelids From Ruining Your Make-up
- 1 hr ago What Causes Chest Pain During Pregnancy And How To Treat It?
- 2 hrs ago Is Homemade Baby Food Safe? A Guide To Make Baby Food At Home
- 2 hrs ago Aamna Sharif In Colourful Crop Top-Skirt And Floral Printed Crop Top-Skirt, Which One Is Prettier?
- Sports IPL 2020: KXIP vs RR, Match 50: Toss, Playing XI: Rajasthan Royals opt to bowl against the Kings XI Punjab
- Movies Fatima Sana Shaikh: I Was Molested When I Was 3; There's A Stigma Around Whole Sexual Abuse Issue
- Finance Top Housing Finance Companies Offering Lower Interest Rates On Home Loan
- Automobiles 2021 Triumph Trident 660 Roadster Unveiled: Will It Come To India?
- News Bengaluru riots: Ex-Congress Mayor Sampath Raj absconding
- Technology Excitel Plans To Offer Its Internet Services In 50 New Cities
- Travel 10 Best Places In Bangalore To Dine Out With Your Beloved This Karva Chauth
- Education DDU Entrance Exam Result 2020 Declared For UG & PG Admission 2020-21
Fruits and vegetables are easily the foundation of a healthy diet. Contributing to our health in diverse ways, the nutrition content in the variety of fruits and vegetables are impossible to be acquired from any other food items. Reports indicate that although the rise in health consciousness has promoted the adoption of vegan and vegetarian diets, five in 10 Indians fall short of their daily vegetable and fruit intake  .
With time, the number of lifestyle diseases and conditions are on a rise. And it is during these times, one comes to the realisation of switching to a healthy lifestyle and one of those steps include ditching fizzy drinks and switching to healthy fruit and veggie drinks  .
In this article, we will take a look at one such healthy drink that is easy to prepare and possess various benefits for your overall health - and that is, carrot ginger juice  . A combination of both vegetable and herb, this healthy alternative contains less than 200 calories (when made from 4 carrots and half-inch ginger root).
1. Boosts Immune System
The combination of carrot and ginger gives you the benefits of various nutrients. Vitamins A and C in carrots are good for the blood cells, while ginger's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties boost immunity. They also help detoxify the body, which is another way of improving the body's immunity.
The anti-microbial properties of the combination of carrot and ginger help kill infection-causing harmful bacteria and viruses, thus keeping you healthy.
2. Curbs Cancer Risk
Studies point out that, fresh carrot ginger juice protects us against various types of cancer. Carrot can combat and guard against ovarian, colorectal, lung, breast and other types of cancers, and ginger is particularly helpful in arresting the spread of cancer cells. Rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients, the healthy combination of ginger and carrot help prevent the growth of radical cells that increase the risk of cancer.
According to a study conducted in 2012, it was revealed that the gingerols present in ginger juice promote ovarian cancer cell death and also stunt colon cancer cell growth.
3. Manages Diabetes
Antioxidant-rich carrot ginger juice should be taken regularly to keep diabetes at bay. Ginger lowers the blood sugar level and improves the efficiency of insulin and reduces complications associated with diabetes. Carrots are also good for diabetic patients, since they are low glycaemic vegetables, while carotenoids (organic pigments that are produced by plants and algae which give them the characteristic colour) help in regulating the blood sugar levels.
4. Improves Heart Health
The antioxidant and cleansing properties in carrots and gingers promote cardiovascular health. Besides the beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and lutein in carrots reduce the risk of heart attack, while the potassium content in them lowers the blood pressure. Ginger also helps reduce cholesterol level and regulates blood pressure.
Dr Sneha pointed out that, "Beta Carotene (in carrots) can reduce the efficacy of certain statins - cholesterol medication. Before adopting the carrot and ginger juice diet talk to your physician about the associated benefits and risks."
According to studies, the gingerol content in your healthy juice can lower the blood pressure, which could, in turn, reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
5. Treats Muscle Soreness
The combination of carrot and ginger is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and muscle soreness, as it soothes the inflammation in muscles. Studies have pointed out that ginger extracts are a proven remedy for muscle soreness, which when combined with anti-arthritis vitamin A and beta-carotene packed carrots, the home remedy is an effective cure.
6. Improves Skin Health
The carrot ginger juice is an excellent mixture for healthy skin. Carrots contain beta-carotene, which improves the health of the skin. Ginger also has antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that improve the skin's texture. The antioxidants also repair damaged skin.
7. Beneficial For Pregnant Women
Studies have suggested that carrot ginger juice is beneficial for expecting mothers because the presence of vitamin A in carrots greatly enhances cell growth, which also helps in the healthy development of the foetus inside the womb. Also, consuming the juice help prevent the risk of internal infections which can affect the foetus. Besides, pregnant women also need calcium in abundance, which the carrot ginger juice offers.
Dr Sneha added, "There have been cases where people adopted carrot juice fads and reported a condition called ‘carotenemia' where their skin turned orange/yellow. This is a benign condition and goes away once you reduce your consumption amount but it might be safe to put a note recommending moderate consumption."
She further said that, "Hypercarotenaemia develops in subjects consuming high levels of carotenoid rich foods or β-carotene supplements (>30 mg day-1) over a period of months."
Recipe For Carrot Ginger Juice
- 4-5 fresh carrots
- ½ inch ginger root
- ½ a lemon
- Cinnamon and sea salt, for taste
- Cut the carrots, wash and dry them.
- Remove the ginger roots' skin and wash it thoroughly.
- Put the carrot and ginger root pieces in a blender and blend until it becomes smooth.
- Pour the juice into a glass and squeeze the lemon into the juice.
- Add some sea salt or cinnamon powder and drink the juice daily in the morning.
-  Zhu, T., Corraze, G., Plagnes-Juan, E., Montfort, J., Bobe, J., Quillet, E., ... & Skiba-Cassy, S. (2019). MicroRNAs related to cholesterol metabolism affected by vegetable diet in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) from control and selected lines. Aquaculture, 498, 132-142.
-  Mangano, K. M., Noel, S. E., Lai, C. Q., Christensen, J. J., Ordovas, J. M., Dawson-Hughes, B., ... & Parnell, L. D. (2019). Diet-derived fruit and vegetable metabolites suggest sex-specific mechanisms conferring protection against osteoporosis in humans. MedRxiv, 19003848.
-  Zeeshan, M., Saleem, S. A., Ayub, M., & Khan, A. (2018). Development and Quality Evaluation of RTS from Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) and Carrot Blend Flavored with Ginger Extract. J Food Process Technol, 9(714), 2.