- 15 min ago Sun Transit In Sagittarius On 16 December 2021: Effects On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- 4 hrs ago Yearly Health Horoscope 2022: Astrological Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 11 hrs ago Omicron: COVID-19 Third Wave Projected In India In February 2022 By IIT Scientist
- 13 hrs ago Omicron Coronavirus: Expert Suggests Ayurvedic Preventive Measures To Combat The New Variant
- Movies Katrina Kaif And Vicky Kaushal's Wedding: Here Is How Love Blossomed Between Couple
- News Stand-up comedian Munawar Faruqui dropped from Gurugram Comedy Festival
- Finance Socks In Action On Change In Price Bands Effective December 7, 2021
- Sports ISL 2021-22: 10 things to know about East Bengal vs FC Goa
- Technology Motorola To Launch Moto G51, Moto Edge X30, Moto G71 Soon; India Launch, Specs
- Education NIFT Admission 2022 Notification Out, Register Online For NIFT UG PG Courses Before January 17 On nift.ac.in
- Automobiles DriveSpark Exclusive: Citroen CC21 SUV Spotted Testing Again In Bangalore
- Travel Budget Friendly Winter Places To Visit Around Kohima
A facial mask is no stranger to us, we use it for rejuvenating our skin, for acne, for blemishes and even for stress relief. A face mask can be made of clay, gel, enzymes, charcoal, or mix of these and other ingredients. These masks are usually applied on the face and left for a time span of a few minutes to hours (mostly night face masks).
Facial masks also come in the form of sheet masks, made of skin-friendly fabrics that are soaked in a nutrient- or vitamin-rich serum . Today, we will help you understand more about night facial masks, the ones that are advertised to be used overnight and removed/washed off the next morning.
Overnight face masks or sleeping packs are said to be specifically made for overnight use and are seemingly safe to wear while sleeping , unlike normal facial masks that can leave your face extremely dry in the morning . They are made with ingredients that can penetrate more deeply as you sleep, without evaporating away.
Benefits Of Sleeping With A Facial Mask/Overnight Facial Mask
Overnight face masks do the same work of night-time moisturisers, just that the face masks have more of active ingredients like salicylic, glycolic, and hyaluronic acids that work together to treat your skin problems .
Along with these active ingredients, the water content in these sheet masks boost the active ingredients' function and hydrates the skin while you are asleep. Some of the benefits of using an overnight sheet are as follows:
(1) Hydrates the skin: Unlike normal face masks, overnight face masks or sheet masks does not rid your skin of its moisture and in fact hydrates your skin, leaving your skin the time for absorbing the active ingredients better. This can be beneficial for people with dry skin or older people because the skin loses moisture with age .
(2) Aids cell growth: When you sleep at night, your skin's blood flow increases, allowing the rebuilding of collagen and repairing of the skin from UV exposure, wrinkles, and age spots . When you are sleeping with a face mask on, the active ingredients, as well as the water content in it, has been proven to help promote cell repairing and growth .
(3) Soothes the skin: Most of these overnight face masks come with soothing minerals, vitamins, and other skin-boosting ingredients that can help improve your skin quality in a calming way, without any inflammation .
(4) Block pollutants: Another benefit of sleeping with face masks on is that most overnight masks have a sealant ingredient that locks in moisture and helps keep dirt and other pollutants from getting into pores .
Is It Safe To Sleep With An Overnight Face Mask On?
Most masks, even the non-overnight ones are generally safe overnight use. But it is best you choose the ones that are specifically made for night use. Keep in mind the following points the next time you use a face mask:
- Avoid sleeping in masks containing ingredients like clay or activated charcoal as they may be too drying to use overnight .
- Avoid products with alcohol, which can make your skin dry and damaged.
- If you are using other skin products that contain acids or retinol, avoid using an overnight mask with the same ingredients as there is a high chance of skin irritation.
Tips For Using An Overnight Face Mask
- Make it the last thing you do before going to bed.
- Clean and dry your face well before applying the masks to prevent any irritations or allergies .
- If the face mask is in cream form, use clean hands or a brush to avoid contamination.
- If you do not want any stains on the pillowcase, wait for about 30 minutes before bedtime after applying the face mask or place a towel over the pillow to prevent the stain from making the sheets and pillowcases messy.
- While most overnight face masks are made with gentle ingredients, make sure to check the label as the product stays on your face for a long time (all night).
On A Final Note…
If you have sensitive skin, ask your dermatologist for the right option. Most people use overnight masks once or twice a week. You can apply it the same way you apply moisturiser after a shower or just place it on your face (stick it on to the sides as per the instructions) and get your beauty sleep on!