Vitamin D protects us from a number of diseases like cancer, multiple cirrhosis, depression, diabetes and heart diseases. Hence doctors always advise you to go out in the sun to get some natural vitamin D or take supplements and eat food items rich in vitamin D.
Here are some wonderful things vitamin D can do for you:
- Vitamin D can delay the onset of age-related macular degeneration. This disease is common in people above fifty years of age and can be controlled with eating healthy, following a healthy lifestyle, and taking regular doses of vitamin D.
Also Read: Why Pregnant Women Need Vitamin D
- Vitamin D helps in the absorption of calcium, which keeps our muscles strong and helps them in functioning properly. Hence, proper intake of vitamin D prevents the occurrence of spasms, twitches and cramps.
- Old people should take vitamin D regularly as studies have proved that this vitamin prevents them from falls at home as it makes their muscles stronger.
- Studies have shown that people suffering from vitamin D insufficiency have the tendency of gaining weight over a period of time. Having enough vitamin D slows down this process. Hence, one should take vitamin D supplements to avoid weight gain.
- Fibromyalgia causes joint and muscle pain, depression, anxiety and fatigue. Studies have proved that while vitamin D is not a cure for fibromyalgia, regular doses of vitamin D can provide some relief to the patients suffering from the pain.
- Post menopausal women who take a regular dose of vitamin D have been found to be at a lower risk of heart disease. It has been found that these women also have higher levels of HDL or good cholesterol in their blood.
- Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous tumours that cause a lot of pain in some women. Research has shown that women who take regular doses of vitamin D have lower chances of developing uterine fibroids than those who have insufficient vitamin D in their body.