Most of the people ignore the golden rules of drinking alcohol, the most common one being eating certain foods that harm your stomach. Yes, that's right! There are certain foods that you shouldn't eat when you are drinking alcohol.
Consuming some of your favourite snacks while drinking can cause stomach pain, acid reflux or even a hangover.
Since, your body processes food in a specific order, it's very important to know what are the foods you shouldn't eat while drinking alcohol as these foods can make you feel worse.
Here's a list of foods you should not eat while drinking alcohol.
Fries are full of saturated fat which makes it difficult to digest when you pair it with alcoholic drinks. This can lead to an upset stomach. Fries also contain a lot of sodium which can further dehydrate your body as the kidneys tend to hold more water leading to oedema and high blood pressure .
Binging on oranges while drinking alcohol sounds like a smart idea, but it isn't smart for the body. The presence of acids in oranges and other citrus fruits can trigger digestive issues and lead to heartburn  if you have it along with alcohol. Instead of an orange, you can have an apple.
3. Hot Sauce
Hot sauce contains a lot of sodium and excess sodium consumption isn't good for the body. Also, if your stomach is sensitive or you suffer from conditions like GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or frequent heartburn, you should avoid hot sauce in combination with alcohol as the spicy peppers trigger acidity and cause inflammation in the stomach lining.
Pretzels are sweet and spicy and it's a perfect snack for parties and some have it in combination with alcohol. But, the downside of this snack is, it can leave you thirsty. And you are likely to turn to alcohol to quench your thirst instead of plain water. This will leave your body dehydrated.
5. Spicy Food
Spicy foods can surely aggravate your stomach upset even more if it is had with alcohol. Spicy peppers contain capsaicin, which is responsible for the burning sensation in the stomach or heartburn  . Instead, pair your spicy foods with beer and wine which will make your stomach feel lighter.
When you are at a restaurant, do you end up ordering sushi and alcohol? If yes, then you should know that sushi doesn't pair well with drinks except for sparkling wine and champagne. It is because raw fish isn't a good combination with alcohol as it may cause an upset stomach and you will start feeling bloated.
The presence of caffeine, fat and cocoa in chocolates can intoxicate you further when it's had with alcohol. Also, the sugar in chocolates will make you thirsty, which will eventually make you want to drink more alcohol. So, avoid having chocolates with alcohol.
8. Marinara Pizza
Alcohol loosens your muscles and keeps your food and digestive juices down. Marinara sauce, which is made with tomatoes, are acidic in nature. This, when consumed with alcohol, can cause GERD, acid reflux and heartburn. So, have pizzas which have no marinara sauce in it.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration, mixing alcohol and coffee can be deadly. This combination is said to impair a drinker's mind. Caffeine acts as a stimulant which revives you by increasing blood pressure, heart rate and in some cases heart palpitations, headaches, jitteriness, etc. On the other hand, alcohol is a depressant that lowers brain functioning and impairs the ability to walk, think and talk clearly  . So, that's the reason mixing them together is a bad idea.
At a restaurant people usually order for a bowl of salad and alcohol to go with it. Though salads are healthy, it doesn't have enough calories to slow down the rate of alcohol absorption. Opt for a salad which has a mix of protein and greens as eating protein will help in slowing down the absorption of alcohol which can prevent a hangover.
11. Sugary Drinks
Adding sugary drinks like soda or cola to alcohol can negatively affect your blood sugar levels. These sugary drinks can worsen your hangover symptoms after drinking. In addition, sugary foods and drinks will make your stomach condition worse causing painful gas and bloating. So go for plain alcohol instead.
Eating sugary foods will make you thirsty because it pulls out water from your body cells. Foods like candies are full of sugar which signals your body to drink more and you are more likely to increase the intake of alcohol. Also, candies contain empty calories so, it's better to avoid it.
13. Liquor-based desserts
There are many who like to combine liquor-based desserts with alcohol which isn't a good combination. Because you don't know how much alcohol content these desserts contain and they can make you trippy further. If at all you want to have a dessert, eat something like vanilla ice cream.
Now you might have got an idea of what foods are to be avoided while drinking alcohol. Instead go for foods like whole wheat crackers, whole wheat toast, vanilla pudding or vanilla ice cream.
-  Rakova, N., Kitada, K., Lerchl, K., Dahlmann, A., Birukov, A., Daub, S., … Titze, J. (2017). Increased salt consumption induces body water conservation and decreases fluid intake. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 127(5), 1932–1943.
-  Penniston, K. L., Nakada, S. Y., Holmes, R. P., & Assimos, D. G. (2008). Quantitative Assessment of Citric Acid in Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, and Commercially-Available Fruit Juice Products. Journal of Endourology, 22(3), 567–570.
-  Choe, J. W., Joo, M. K., Kim, H. J., Lee, B. J., Kim, J. H., Yeon, J. E., … Bak, Y.-T. (2017). Foods Inducing Typical Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Symptoms in Korea. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 23(3), 363–369.
-  Schweizer, T. A., & Vogel-Sprott, M. (2008). Alcohol-impaired speed and accuracy of cognitive functions: A review of acute tolerance and recovery of cognitive performance. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 16(3), 240–250.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Will Rafale Deal Be Probed? — Supreme Court To Decide Today
- Why Is December A Good Month To Invest In Stock Markets?
- Nissan Kicks Review — Should You Buy The Latest Five-Seater SUV From Nissan?
- IPL Auction 2019 — These Five Players May Be Sold For A High Price
- Shahrukh Breaks Silence On His Film With Salman Khan And Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Things To Know About The World's Quad Camera Smartphone
- Mumbai And Its Vintage Parsi Cafes
- Can Meditation Enhance Creativity?