- 2 hrs ago A 12-Year-Old Colour-Blind Boy Gets Emotional After He Sees Colours For The First Time
- 5 hrs ago Hina Khan’s Mesmerising Blue Eye Make-up Is All You Need To Slay This Holiday Season
- 6 hrs ago Rasika Dugal's Black Outfit Can Easily Elevate Your Formal Look
- 8 hrs ago Instagram Beauty Trends Of The Week: Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Kareena Kapoor & More
- News Will seek President's rule in Bengal if violence continues: BJP
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Day 69: Salman Khan Enters Weekend Ka Vaar Episode In Dabangg Style
- Sports ISL 2019-20: FC Goa vs ATK: Goa rally past Kolkata to go top
- Technology How To Get Numeric Keypad In Windows
- Automobiles Volvo XC40 T4 R-Design Petrol Launched In India At Rs 39.90 Lakh, Ex-Showroom
- Finance RBI To Offer Liquidity Support Scheme For 24X7 Functionality Of Neft
- Travel How Christmas Is Celebrated In Different Parts Of India
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
You might think that skipping foods is the best way to lose weight and prevent obesity. But this is totally wrong. Having a healthy diet actually helps one to prevent obesity and manage their body weight.
Also, a new study has found that a diet rich in proteins may help prevent and treat obesity by reducing food intake.
According to the researchers from the Imperial College London in the UK who had conducted the study stated that a component of dietary protein, phenylalanine, can suppress appetite by affecting the release of appetite- regulating hormones in the gut.
Although high protein diets have been shown to be satisfying and to promote weight loss, they can be hard to maintain and may lead to other health problems in the long- term, researchers said.
Phenylalanine is an amino acid produced in the gut when protein is digested and has previously been shown to affect the release of gut hormones that reduce appetite in rodents.
However, it was unclear exactly how the amino acid was causing this release and whether other systems were involved in phenylalanine's appetite suppressing effects.
About The Study:
To investigate the effects of phenylalanine on appetite and gut hormone release, Professor Kevin Murphy and colleagues at Imperial College London examined the effect of the amino acid on food intake and brain activity in areas known to be involved in appetite regulation.
Mice were given phenylalanine, either orally or rectally, to assess the effects on different parts of the gut. Food intake was monitored at regular intervals over 24 hours and the amount of activity in brain areas associated with appetite regulation was also assessed.
Both oral and rectal phenylalanine reduced food intake of the mice and increased activation in a brain area known to be involved in regulating appetite, researchers said.
After rectal administration, even an amount of phenylalanine 10 times lower than would be eaten daily on a high protein diet, resulted in reduced food intake and activated the appetite regulating centres in the brain.
These data suggest that phenylalanine may reduce appetite through different pathways in the upper and lower gut. Although unknown whether phenylalanine has the same effects on human appetite, this research indicates that the amino acid may have an important role in regulating food intake that could be used to treat obesity.
"Diets high in protein are known to encourage weight loss but adhering to them can be difficult. Identifying the mechanisms that sense the protein may allow us to use drugs or functional foods to hijack appetite regulation, and treat obesity," said Norton, who conducted the study.
Meanwhile, take a look at a few of the home remedies for obesity and weight loss here.
1. Lemon Juice:
Take a glass of water, add 2-3 teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey. Drink this in the morning on an empty stomach for best results.
2. Green Tea:
Green tea contains a compound that helps to slow down weight gain by limiting absorption of fat. In addition to this, green tea also contains all the essential nutrients. Drink 1-2 cups of green tea for best results.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar:
If obesity and excess weight gain has been troubling you then apple cider vinegar will definitely help. It helps in the breakdown of fat and prevents accumulation of fat. Take a glass of water, add one teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar and lemon juice each. Mix them well and then drink it in the morning.
(With Agency Inputs)