- 27 min ago Grammys 2020: Billie Eilish Wins Big And Here Is A Look At Her Rebel Fashion Game
- 1 hr ago Hina Khan Looks Insanely Beautiful In Her Ivory Leaf-Patterns Sari
- 3 hrs ago Grammys 2020: Priyanka Chopra Jonas Impresses In A Satin Gown But Disappoints In A Sequin Kimono
- 6 hrs ago 9 Interesting Health Benefits Of Pecans
- Movies Kangana Ranaut On Karan Johar's Padma Shri Honour: 'He Totally Deserves This Award'
- Technology Motorola Razr 5G Might See The Light Of Day But Not In International Markets
- News Bodo agreement: Amit Shah signs accord with dreaded Bodo militant group NDFB
- Sports India vs New Zealand: Tough to hit Bumrah, need to learn how to adapt from India: Seifert
- Finance Centre To Increase Deposit Insurance To Rs. 5 Lakh, Pay More On Bank Failure
- Automobiles Tata Altroz Imaginator Launched: Five Options To Customize Your Altroz At The Factory
- Travel 10 Most Popular Historical Places And Sites In Karnataka
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
It is traditional in many parts of India that women have to undergo a period of around 40 days of confinement after the delivery of a child. This is done to make sure that the mother gets the required amount of rest and care.
The mother will be very tired during this time and her body will need to heal. Her body will also be learning how to breastfeed. The confinement period proves to be crucial for the health of both the mother and baby.
The mother is fed special foods and is also restricted from having foods that may cause harm to the baby and mother. She is given foods that encourage healing and lactation. There are many herbal and homemade foods items that can be prepared and given to the mother.
We have made a list of 3 of the most effective herbal drinks that can be made at home very easily. The regular consumption of these drinks accelerates healing and promotes lactation in the mother. So, read on to know more on how these drinks are made.
Garlic is commonly considered as a very good galactagogue or a substance that promotes lactation in new mothers.
Garlic - 3 cloves
Water - 1 cup
Milk - 1 glass
Sugar, honey or jaggery - ½ tsp
Grate the cloves of garlic until very fine. Take a pan and boil the grated garlic in water until the water is reduced to one-fourth of the original quantity.
Now, add a glass of milk to it and let the mixture boil well.
Switch the stove off and let the milk mixture cool. Pour it into a glass and serve with honey, jaggery or sugar.
Serve this drink in the morning or in the mid-morning.
Fennel has been used to stimulate lactation. It also soothes colic in babies. It enhances the digestion in both the mother and baby.
Fennel seeds - 2 tablespoons
Water - 1 litre
Sugar or honey - ½ teaspoon
Take a pan and pour in the water. Add the fennel seeds into it and bring to a boil. When it boils, simmer the water for five minutes.
Cover and set aside to seep for a few minutes.
You can now strain the water and store the warm fennel water in a thermos flask.
You may drink this water whenever you feel thirsty. You can add the sugar or honey if you want to make it a little more palatable.
This water needs to be made fresh each day.
If you are not interested in drinking fennel water, you may roast the fennel seeds and chew on it.
Carom seeds or ajwain is thought to be beneficial in digestion and in cleansing the stomach. The carom water is said to be helpful in speeding up the recovery after childbirth.
Carom seeds powder - ½ teaspoon
Water - 1 cup
Ghee - ½ teaspoon
Jaggery - 2 teaspoons
Take a pan and heat ghee in it. When the ghee is warm, add the powdered carom seeds and water to it. Mix everything well.
When the mixture starts to boil, add the jaggery.
Reduce the flame and let the mixture simmer. The jaggery must completely dissolve.
Now remove the pan from the flame and let it cool.
Strain the mixture and drink it when slightly warm.
If you want to skip the unnecessary calories, you may choose to skip the ghee. Just take the pan, and heat it.
Add the carom powder and water. You may add the jaggery to make the liquid more palatable. Strain and drink the liquid.