- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 29 January 2020
- 12 hrs ago LFW 2020: Here's What You Can Expect From Amit Aggarwal's Summer Resort Grand Finale Collection
- 12 hrs ago 16 Wholesome Foods To Help Relieve Stress Naturally
- 12 hrs ago How To Recreate Sonam Kapoor’s Stunning Blue Eye Make-up Look With Just 6 Products
- Movies Pattas Box Office Final Collections: The Dhanush Starrer Ends Up As A Profitable Venture!
- Technology Upcoming Budget Flagship Smartphones To Arrive In India This Year
- News Why are wildlife activists upset with Rajinikanth's 'Man vs Wild' episode
- Sports ICC U19 World Cup: India trounce Australia by 74 runs; enter semifinals
- Automobiles BharatBenz BS-VI Trucks & Buses Revealed With New Connectivity Tech
- Finance 5 Best NRE FD Accounts for NRI’s
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Sikkim In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
A new study published recently in the journal, Lancet Respiratory Medicine, shows that consuming vitamin D supplements can reduce the risk of severe asthma attacks in adults with mild to moderate asthma by almost 30%.
The research, conducted at the Queen Mary University of London, was designed to evaluate the immune-boosting effects of vitamin D (a finding that has been observed in many studies through the years).
Cheap Way to Treat Asthma
Asthma affects around 5.4 million people in Britain. And most of the deaths caused by it are due to upper respiratory tract infections.
So the purpose of this study was to find an inexpensive way to prevent a life-threatening asthma attack. Although the lead researcher cautioned people to not generalize the findings as they only evaluated adults with mild to moderate asthma for this study.
Will Sunlight Work Too?
While exposure to UVB rays of the sunlight is known to produce vitamin D in our body, only farmers are out in the Sun enough to reap these benefits.
Unfortunately, exposing yourself to sunlight for too long is a surefire way to get diagnosed with skin cancer. Therefore, vitamin D supplements are a great way to reap the benefits without putting yourself in harm's way.
While we do not recommend you self-medicate with vitamin D pills if you are an asthmatic (since that carries a high risk of developing hypervitaminosis D), consulting a doctor and keeping your vitamin D levels at their optimal level is always a great idea.
And if it ends up boosting your immunity and reducing the number of asthma attacks, then all the better.
Was This Article Useful?
If yes, please share it so others can read it too.