- Movies The Secret Life Of Pets 2 Full Movie Leaked On Tamilrockers To Download In HD!
- Technology India Planning To Build Its Own Space Station By 2030
- News Moily suggests a referendum on EVMs, says everybody is suspecting them
- Automobiles Tata Offers Automatic Transmission On The Tigor
- Sports ISL Transfer News: Eugeneson Lyngdoh returns to Bengaluru FC
- Finance DCC To Impose Penalty On Airtel, Vodafone Idea For Not Helping Reliance Jio
- Education How An Effective Revision Assist You To Fly High In The Competitive Exams
- Travel Pangong Lake - The World's Highest Saltwater Lake
There are so many beliefs and rituals that we Indians follow. With the fear of not hurting the Gods, we tend to follow and do things which at times might even give us physical pain!
Here is one such example where a temple in Tamil Nadu is seen practising a bizarre, painful ritual where the devotees' heads are smashed using a coconut.
The coconuts are smashed on the heads of the devotees during a particular festival time, and people are not afraid to sit in a line and let the priest break a coconut on their heads.
Here is the video.
This ritual is a part of a thanksgiving festival in southern India, and the footage was filmed in Mettu Mahadanapuram, Tamil Nadu. It shows the Hindu-Tamil worshippers during the annual Aadi Perukku festival undergoing the painful-looking ritual.
According to reports, more than 1,000 devotees took part in the practice at the Sri Mahalakshmi Temple as part of a celebration of the life-giving properties of water.
If the devotees are hurt during the ritual, sacred ash called "viboothi" and turmeric is applied to the wounds.
Even though the practice has drawn criticism from authorities such as the State Human Rights Commission due to the number of injuries sustained during the festival, people still tend to follow this.