Having a healthy diet is important to prevent several health problems. So in a similar way following a healthy diet and lifestyle is important to prevent colon cancer.
According to a new report from the American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund International, for reducing the risk of colon cancer, whole grains and exercise are necessary, while processed meat and alcohol should be limited.
These findings suggest that three servings a day of whole grains, like brown rice or whole wheat bread, may actually lower the risk of colon cancer by 17 percent.
"Maintaining a healthy body weight, physical activity, a healthy diet, and avoiding smoking and high alcohol intake all contribute to lower risk of colorectal cancer," added Giovannucci, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.
According to the researchers, greater consumption of whole grains confers more protection.
The team of experts evaluated close to 100 studies. Among more than 29 million adult participation, 25,000 of them had colon cancer. Based on their research, the team suggested that one should limit processed meats, to no more than 500 grams a week.
Similarly, being overweight or obese or drinking two or more alcoholic beverages a day was linked to increased risk of colon cancer.
"A healthy diet should include an emphasis on high-fiber whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and less on highly processed grains or starchy foods, especially those high in added sugars and fats," Giovannucci said
Apart from the consumption of whole grains, the report also suggests that one should be physically active for at least 30 minutes a day.
- This Three Ingredient Colon-Cleanse Is What You Must Try Out Today
- Reasons Why You Must Have Olive Oil On An Empty Stomach Every Day
- Foods That Can Fight Colon Cancer
- Study Claims Purple Potatoes Are Beneficial For Colon Cancer
- 48-hour Liver, Colon & Kidney Detox To Cleanse Toxins & Burn Fat From The Body
- This Common Oil Can Help Prevent Colon Cancer Effectively!
- 10 Important Facts About Red Wine That Will Blow Your Mind