Being overweight and obese can put you at a risk of developing several other health issues. More so if you are a women you need to be extra careful.
A new study has found that women who are overweight or obese are at an increased risk of developing breast cancer compared to those who are slim. Hence, they need to undergo frequent mammogram in order to prevent the deadly disease.
Breast cancer is one of the most common form of cancer in women and also the leading cause of death due to cancer in women. Self examination and taking certain precautionary measures helps in preventing breast cancer.
About The Study:
For the study, the researchers had taken into consideration more than 2,000 women from Sweden in the age group of 55-74 years old. All of the participants were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer between 2001-2008. The average BMI was 25.6. BMI is a rough estimate of body fat based on height and weight measurements.
So what is an ideal Body Mass Index (BMI) for a healthy women? A BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered normal. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is overweight, and over 30 is considered obese.
The study found that a BMI above 25 and having denser breast tissue were linked to higher odds of a large tumor when diagnosed with breast cancer during a screening. Only BMI was associated with having a large tumor for interval cancers.
Women with a BMI above 25 with interval cancers had a worse prognosis than thinner women.
Meanwhile, also check about a few of the best ways to prevent obesity here.
1. Eating Healthy:
Adding healthy foods to your everyday diet is very important in order to prevent excess weight gain and obesity. Include foods that are rich in fibre and low in fat content. Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are a must have if you want to prevent obesity.
2. Drinking Plenty Of Water:
Drinking plenty of water helps in a number of ways. It is essential for an adult to drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. It not just helps in hydrating the body but it helps in flushing out the unwanted toxins from the body.
3. Avoid Junk Foods:
You might find french fries, pizzas, burgers, deep fried foods or aerated drinks tasty, but these are the foods that are actually bad for your health. These foods contain added flavour, lot of unhealthy fat, calories and salt.
When you eat these foods, it not just lead to excess weight gain and obesity but also leads to indigestion and stomach bloating as well. If not taken care of on time then this might cause serious health issues like stomach ulcer and affect the liver as well.
4. Regular Exercise:
Do not get lazy. It is highly important to include a bit of exercise on a regular basis for any age group. Exercise does not mean that you need to hit the gym and go for rigorous exercise. 30 minutes of walking, jogging or cycling on a regular basis everyday helps in keeping you fit.
(With Agency Inputs)
- Every Woman Should Undergo These Tests Before She Turns 30
- When Should You Get A Mammogram Done
- 10 Health Benefits Of Eating Brown Sugar
- 10 Health Benefits Of Black Pepper For Weight Loss
- 11 Reasons Why Noodles Are Not Good For Health
- Saturated Fatty Acids, Is It Good Or Bad For Your Health?
- Beware If You Are Obese, It Can Increase The Risk Of This Disease!
- Know How Diabetes & Obesity Can Cause Cancer!
- This One Spice Helps To Fight Obesity Effectively, Try It Out!
- 9 Low-sugar Fruits That People Suffering From Obesity & Diabetes Can Consume Safely!
- Energy Drink Increases Risk Of These Diseases
- Obesity & Underweight Increases Depression Risk In Women
- This Is One Best Way To Prevent Obesity