Black-coloured stools can be caused by two main reasons. It could either be due to something that you just ate or due to something more complicated than that.
There are several medical reasons why your stool can be black. In case you have abdominal pain, diarrhoea or a fever with black stools, then you need to visit a doctor immediately.
The colour and smell of your stools can tell you a lot about your health and diet. A shade of brown is considered to be normal and healthy.
The truth is that there are different shades of stools ranging from brown to yellow, white and green. However, in this article, we'll be discussing the reasons on why black-coloured stools can be noted.
Sometimes, when the blood gets mixed with the stool, it could also result in the colour.
Did you know that the colour of your stools can say a lot about what you just ate and the amount of bile involved? Bile is a greenish fluid that is released by the liver to help breakdown fat for digestion.
There can be several medical reasons on why the stools are black in colour in adults. It is always better to know about these reasons.
In this article, we have mentioned about some of the top causes on why black stools can be noted in adults. Read further to know about the causes.
1. Peptic Ulcer:
These ulcers usually develop in the inner lining of the stomach or the small intestine. It could be usually caused by bacteria, excessive smoking, alcohol or taking medications frequently. It can result in black stools. This is one of the top causes of black stools in adults.
Certain types of cancers can lead to black stools. Black stool can also be a symptom of stomach cancer. In this type of a cancer, the healthy cells turn cancerous over a period of time in the inner lining of the stomach. This is one of the top reasons for black stools.
Malignant tumours can also cause the stools to turn black in adults. This type of a tumour usually targets the oesophagus and stomach and can lead to black-coloured stools.
4. Oesophageal Varices:
Tar-like black stool can be a symptom of oesophageal varices. This occurs when the blood flow to the liver gets blocked. The swollen veins in the lower oesophagus, which are present close to the stomach, get damaged and bleed out.
This is a condition in which the stomach lining becomes inflamed. Black stool is a very common symptom of gastritis. It also leads to the formation of ulcers in the stomach lining.
Colitis is known to be a condition in which the colon gets inflamed. This condition can also lead to the occurrence of black stools.
7. Alcohol-related Liver Disease:
Damage to the liver due to excessive drinking can lead to this disease and hence black stools. Years of alcohol abuse can make the liver inflamed and swollen. Hence, this could cause the formation of black-coloured stools.
- Kriti Sanon Shines In A Black Sunaina Khera Dress
- Shruti Haasan Goes All Black In A Shahin Mannan Black Midi Dress
- A Humble Seed That Can Cure All Diseases!
- The Different Shades Of Eyeliner & Why You Should Use Them
- What Happens When You Add Black Pepper Powder In Your Tea?
- How To Make Natural Black Hair Dye At Home?
- Look Of The Day: Sunny Leone's Edgy Black Dress Is The Perfect Party Outfit
- Sonam Kapoor Enlightens Us Some More On Fashion With Her Cannes Day 2 Press Meet Look
- Sonam Kapoor Gives New Meaning To All-Black Outfit Right Before Her Cannes Appearance
- Look Of The Day: Priyanka Chopra In A Zuhair Murad Is All We Want To See Today!
- Lisa Haydon Makes Us Swoon With Her Sheer Cutout LBD & Valentino Shoes
- Spotted: Shah Rukh Khan's Handsome Tuxedo Look At Mehboob Studio