- 8 hrs ago 10 Foods Parents Should Avoid Giving Their Babies In The First Year
- 8 hrs ago Navratri 2019 Day 1: Orange Make-up Looks To Celebrate Colour Of The Day
- 8 hrs ago Skin Abscess: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Prevention And Treatment
- 9 hrs ago Katrina Kaif, Karishma Tanna And Others Gave Us Casual Fashion Goals At This Event
- Sports Pro Kabaddi League 2019: Match 101: UP Yoddha Vs Tamil Thalaivas: Dream 11 Prediction, Fantasy Tips
- Movies CONTROVERSIAL: Urvashi Rautela Breaks Silence On Her ‘INAPPROPRIATE VIDEO’ With Boney Kapoor
- Technology Redmi 8A Price In India Leaks Ahead Of Launch
- News US visit will present India as global leader: PM Modi
- Automobiles Kia Motors Considering Five New Cars For The Indian Market: Including Two Electric Vehicles
- Finance Gold Prices Continue To Fall In India Even As Prices Climb Globally
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
Many of us would already know that vitamins and minerals are important for a good health. However, did you know that not getting enough vitamins can cause great harm to the body? For example, vitamin B12 deficiency can cause a number of unhealthy symptoms.
Without a healthy amount nutrients, our immune system loses its strength and so we may be susceptible to a lot of diseases.
To remain healthy and free of diseases, we need vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and healthy fats in equal amounts.
Even if we miss out on taking in one nutrient, our body becomes deficient of that particular nutrient, causing undesirable symptoms.
The main sources of vitamins and minerals are food, so we must ensure that we take in foods that are rich in all nutrients to keep ourselves healthy.
As we may know, there are eight B vitamins that are important to keep us healthy, and vitamin B12 is one of them.
So, here are a few surprising facts and signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, have a look.
1. Numbness In The Hands
Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause the depletion of myelin, which is a protective covering for the nerves. Without this covering the nerves are prone to damage, so numbness of hands or feet is a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency.
A symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency is constant fatigue, as this deficiency can cause blood loss and anaemia.
3. Pale Skin
Another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is having a pale, yellowish skin tone, as your blood does not carry enough oxygen with this type of deficiency.
In rare cases, vitamin B12 deficiency can be one of the causes for diabetes, which is easily ignored.
5. If You Are A Vegan
If you are a vegan or vegetarian, you could show signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, as meat is the main source of this nutrient.
6. Adults Over 50
If you are above the age of 50, your body's capacity to absorb vitamin B12 reduces and so you may be at risk of this deficiency.
Another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is confusion, as this deficiency may cause harm to the brain cells.
8. Acidity Medicines
If you are taking medications for acidity, you may experience signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, as your body does not absorb the vitamin.
Yet another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is depression, as it can deplete the production of serotonin in the brain.
10. Loss Of Memory
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be harmful, as it can affect your nervous system and cause memory loss.
11. Birth Control Pills
In many cases, women on birth control pills experience signs of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is noticed in people who drink alcohol in excess.