- 53 min ago LFW W/F 2019 Day Five: Genelia D’ Souza Gives Us The Best Showstopper Moment With This Red Lehenga
- 1 hr ago Kareena Kapoor Khan Exudes Contrasting Vibes With Her Two LFW 2019 Black Gowns
- 2 hrs ago LFW W/F 2019 Finale: Kareena Kapoor Khan Brings Alive Old Hollywood Glamour With Her Classy Look
- 3 hrs ago LFW W/F 2019 Day 5: Genelia D'Souza Demonstrates Why Smokey Eye Look Is A Classic
- Movies Hrithik Roshan: Entertainment Value Of A Film Is Most Important For Me
- News Local truck driver killed in stone pelting in Kashmir’s Anantnag
- Sports Premier League Review: Spurs slip up, Man City win at Bournemouth
- Technology How To Add And Remove Channel Packs Using Tata Sky Mobile App
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki S-Presso India Launch Confirmed For The 30th Of September: Details & Specs
- Finance Gold Scales To Rs. 38,600 On Fed Powell Comments And Grim Trade War Outlook
- Education NTA To Conduct JNU Entrance Test JNUET In May 2020
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
Many of us would already know that vitamins and minerals are important for a good health. However, did you know that not getting enough vitamins can cause great harm to the body? For example, vitamin B12 deficiency can cause a number of unhealthy symptoms.
Without a healthy amount nutrients, our immune system loses its strength and so we may be susceptible to a lot of diseases.
To remain healthy and free of diseases, we need vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and healthy fats in equal amounts.
Even if we miss out on taking in one nutrient, our body becomes deficient of that particular nutrient, causing undesirable symptoms.
The main sources of vitamins and minerals are food, so we must ensure that we take in foods that are rich in all nutrients to keep ourselves healthy.
As we may know, there are eight B vitamins that are important to keep us healthy, and vitamin B12 is one of them.
So, here are a few surprising facts and signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, have a look.
1. Numbness In The Hands
Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause the depletion of myelin, which is a protective covering for the nerves. Without this covering the nerves are prone to damage, so numbness of hands or feet is a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency.
A symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency is constant fatigue, as this deficiency can cause blood loss and anaemia.
3. Pale Skin
Another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is having a pale, yellowish skin tone, as your blood does not carry enough oxygen with this type of deficiency.
In rare cases, vitamin B12 deficiency can be one of the causes for diabetes, which is easily ignored.
5. If You Are A Vegan
If you are a vegan or vegetarian, you could show signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, as meat is the main source of this nutrient.
6. Adults Over 50
If you are above the age of 50, your body's capacity to absorb vitamin B12 reduces and so you may be at risk of this deficiency.
Another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is confusion, as this deficiency may cause harm to the brain cells.
8. Acidity Medicines
If you are taking medications for acidity, you may experience signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, as your body does not absorb the vitamin.
Yet another sign of vitamin B12 deficiency is depression, as it can deplete the production of serotonin in the brain.
10. Loss Of Memory
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be harmful, as it can affect your nervous system and cause memory loss.
11. Birth Control Pills
In many cases, women on birth control pills experience signs of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is noticed in people who drink alcohol in excess.