- 39 min ago Studies Show Cabbage Can Reduce The Risk Of Certain Cancers
- 1 hr ago Pongal 2020: Kajol And Other Divas Have Pongal-Perfect Outfit Suggestions For You
- 2 hrs ago Are You Cleaning Your Jade Roller? Here’s How To Clean Your Jade Roller And Why Should You Do It
- 2 hrs ago What Does Your Handshake Reveal About Your Personality
- Finance 5 Best Health Insurance Plans in India
- News Shocking UP crime: Two women’s bodies found, one burnt; another without clothes, doused with acid
- Movies Epic Fam Jam: 5 Reasons Why You Need To Attend India's Biggest Fan Festival
- Technology Amazon Great Indian Sale 2020: Get Exciting Deals On OnePlus 7T Series, OnePlus 7 Pro
- Sports Sania Mirza and Nadiia Kichenok grab Hobart International title
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Do you feel that you are still gaining weight no matter how much you diet or exercise? If yes, then you could have a slow metabolism; and there are a few medical reasons for slow metabolism which are related to weight gain that you must know about.
You are on a strict diet, you make it a point to get some exercise on a daily basis and yet, your weight remains constant or even worse, you keep gaining weight!
It can all be quite frustrating, right? Well, the key to healthy weight loss is to boost your metabolism level, as a faster metabolic rate can help burn calories quicker!
Metabolism is a process in which the body converts the calories into energy, in order to use the energy for various other functions.
So, if you have a slower metabolic rate, then your body takes a longer time to convert the calories into energy, allowing the cells more time to absorb fat!
So, a slow metabolism can not only make you gain weight, but it can also lower your energy levels drastically.
Here is a list of medical reasons for a slow metabolism that you should make yourself aware of, have a look!
1. Excess Cortisol
One of the causes for a slow metabolic rate is the excess production of the stress hormone called cortisol in the body, causing weight gain and its related disorders.
2. High Insulin Levels
When the body's insulin levels are high, the blood cannot absorb enough glucose, causing a spike in the blood sugar levels. When the blood sugar levels are high, your metabolic rate automatically slows down.
3. Thyroid Disorder
If your thyroid hormones are produced in excess or produced in inadequate quantities, it can also cause a slow metabolism and weight gain.
4. Low Oestrogen Levels
Low levels of oestrogen, the female reproductive hormone, can also lead to a slow metabolism, which is why many post-menopausal women experience fatigue and weight gain.
5. Low Testosterone Levels
You may have noticed that there is a gradual decline in muscle mass and increase in fat mass, in older men, this is caused by slow metabolism due to lowered testosterone levels.
6. Inadequate Muscle Tissues
When a person has more fat tissues in his/her body, in comparison to the muscle tissues, it can also lead to a slow metabolism.
Reports have shown that use of certain medications like steroids, anti-inflammatory drugs, anti-depressants, etc., can also slow down the metabolic rate.