Snoring is a common problem. There are perhaps more people than not who haven't had this condition. Men and overweight people experience the problem more.
Occasional snoring is not a serious concern, apart from the fact that it causes disturbance for your partner. But those who have a regular problem of snoring need to give it a look, as it could be a symptom of some serious health ailment, besides hampering a good night's sleep, which is very essential for a good health.
Reason For Snoring:
Snoring occurs when the flow of air through our mouth and nose gets physically obstructed. The flow of air can be obstructed through obstructed nasal airways; poor muscle tone in the throat and tongue; bulky throat issue or a long uvula (the dangling fleshy portion in the back of the mouth).
Health Problems Related To Snoring:
Those who have a habitual problem of snoring are vulnerable to a number of health disorders, including sleep apnoea. Sleep apnoea can cause problems like long breathing interruptions, frequent sleep disorder, high blood pressure and pressure on the heart, constricted blood vessels in the blood and hypertension, daytime sleeping and consequent exhaustion and obesity, etc.
Foods That Can Stop Your Snoring:
Apart from following certain steps like quitting smoking and alcohol, maintaining a healthy diet can also help you to get rid of snoring. Here are five such foods that can give you a relief against snoring:
1. Honey: The swelling in the throat that causes snoring can be treated if you consume honey, which has good anti-inflammatory properties. Have a cup of tea added with a few drops of honey before going to bed.
2. Fish And Fish Oil: Fish is a great cure for snoring, besides fish oil. The latter contains omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids that produce good cholesterol and stop production of bad cholesterol. This helps in reducing the fat accumulated around the throat and nasal tract and clears the air passage.
3. Soy Milk: Drink soy milk instead of cow's milk, which can make you snore more. The special protein in cow's milk can cause serious allergic reactions that in turn enhance the congestion in the nasal passage, leading to snoring.
4. Turmeric: As it is helpful in treating several other ailments, turmeric is also handy in curing inflammation and preventing snoring, thanks to its antiseptic and antibiotic properties.
5. Diet Having Low Carbohydrates: It can really help in reducing snoring by regulating the insulin balance. Sleep apnoea is a component of the insulin resistance syndrome and a low-carb diet can better the sleep apnoea by far.