Indigestion is one of the most common problems faced by most of us at some point of time. Your stomach feels bloated and you feel uncomfortable. In such cases, the best way to improve digestion is to practise yoga, specifically ardha uttanasana.
Whenever you have digestion problems, you quickly have an antacid tablet, but this is just a temporary solution. The next time you have digestion problem, then again you need to pop in this antacid tablet.
Also Read: Yoga Asanas For Headache
So if you want to get a permanent solution for the problems related to digestion, yoga asana would be the best option. Ardha Uttanasana which is also known as the Standing Half Forward Bend Pose is the best asana that helps in improving digestion.
The word Ardha Uttanasana comes from the Sanskrit word 'Ardha' which means half, 'Ut' which means intense, 'Tan' which means stretch and 'Asana' which means pose.
Also Read: Yoga Asanas For Brain
This Ardha Uttanasana might be difficult for a beginner; hence, one can use the support of yoga blocks. However, with continuous practise it becomes easier.
Here is the step-wise procedure to perform Ardha Uttanasana. Have a look.
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform Ardha Uttanasana:
1. To begin with come to a standing position.
2. Slowly bend down and try to touch the floor with your finger tips.
3. If you are not able to touch the floor, use yoga blocks as support.
4. Your elbows should be straight.
5. Slowly raise your torso.
6. Slightly bend your knees.
7. Make your torso and spine straight.
8. Your palms should be pressed against the floor.
9. Take a deep breath and slightly lift up your head.
10 Your hip should be aligned right above the ankles.
11. Take deep breaths and hold on to the position for about a minute.
12. Slowly come out of the position.
Other Benefits of Ardha Uttanasana:
It helps to strengthen the back.
It helps to strengthen the muscles.
It helps to stretch the hamstrings.
It helps to treat stomach pain.
It helps to strengthen the shoulders.
It helps to strengthen the knees and ankles.
It helps to provide relief from abdominal pain.
It helps to lower high blood pressure.
Ardha Uttanasana helps in improving digestion and has several health benefits but it should not be practised by people having sciatica, neck injuries and back injuries. It is always best to practise the asana under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor.