- 18 min ago Are You Pregnant? 15 Symptoms To Watch Out For
- 48 min ago This Bride Flaunting Her Self-Designed Lehenga Is The Best Thing You Will See On The Internet
- 1 hr ago Varun Dhawan And Natasha Dalal's Marriage Location Revealed And Here Are Designers They Can Consider
- 2 hrs ago 11 Signs Your Ex Is Pretending To Be Over You
- Movies Rangoli Chandel Insults Karan Johar As He Praises Kangana Ranaut & Extends An Olive Branch To Her
- News Cabinet approves raising abortion upper limit to 24 weeks; bill to be tabled in next Parl session
- Finance ICICI Bank Introduces ‘iBox' For Self-Service Delivery Of Debit, Credit Cards, Cheques
- Sports Premier Badminton League: Pune 7 Aces take on Chennai Superstarz
- Technology HyperX Fury Ultra Gaming Mouse Pad With 360-Degree RGB Lighting Launched In India
- Automobiles Renault Kwid BS6 Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 2.92 Lakh
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Sikkim In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Similarly every year many people experience a decrease in vision due to some or the other reason. Usually they go for an eye check up at 40 years as they have decrease in vision for near to get their reading glasses. This is the time when a doctor is able to rule out common conditions like glaucoma. Often, there are no symptoms indicating something is wrong, as with glaucoma.
It is important for everyone to have regular eye check ups. How frequently one should have routine eye check up depends on the age & general health. The people with family history of eye problems and if already diagnosed or treated for any eye conditions should check the eyes at a regular interval as specified by their eye specialist.
A general eye exam includes testing the vision as well as evaluating the health of your eyes. One should tell about medications you are taking for any health condition as well as and other conditions that you may have been treated for in the past. Also mention about your family and or any history of eye diseases, eye conditions or have had any eye surgery.
Your eye examination will begin with a measurement of your vision with and without glasses or contact lenses, if you wear them. It includes other tests which check for any cataract or glaucoma or any other pathology in the eye. Retina is evaluated in details to see any age related degeneration or signs of any systemic disease like diabetes or hypertension. Many times diabetes is detected after a routine eye check up showing retinal bleeding spots which may remain undetected as they in early stages won"t cause any problem to the patient.
If one is in generally good health and has not been diagnosed with any eye problems or vision problems, a routine exam every two years is sufficient. However, if any family history of glaucoma, macular degeneration or diabetes is present then one will need to be examined at least each year or as directed by the eye specialist. Because cataract and other age related eye problems become more troubling as we get older, patients over 55-60 may wish to consider a routine check up each year as well.
Children should have eye test before they enter school in order to be sure that there are no undetected vision problems that might affect learning. The frequency of their examinations will depend on the family history and any specific vision problems or complaints. Certain conditions like vitamin A deficiency if ruled out at this stage and if treated in time will avoid cases of corneal blindness. Most eye diseases that cause blindness can be treated if diagnosed early. We are aware of this but still regular eye check before schooling is not a protocol.
Eyes are windows of our body which make us see this world. Timely examination by an eye specialist is essential to ensure good health of the eyes, to see this world as beautiful as it is!