- 11 hrs ago Do You Often Pick The Skin Around Nails? You May Have Excoriation Or Skin Picking Disorder?
- 12 hrs ago Amazon Republic Day Sale 2022: Huge Discount On Home Appliances
- 16 hrs ago Wall Paint - Distemper Or Emulsion? 5-Point Comparative Guide By Expert
- 17 hrs ago Former New York Post Editor Alleges Harassment At Workplace And Retaliation By Senior
- Technology Samsung Republic Fest Sale 2022: Best Deals On Top Selling Samsung Smartphones
- News Websites, YouTube channels spreading lies, conspiring against India will be blocked: Minister Thakur
- Sports India vs South Africa 1st ODI 2022: Player of The Match, Post Match Presentation, Scorecard, Records and Stats
- Finance 3 Debt Free Chemical Stocks In India With M-Cap Over Rs. 10,000 Crore To Add To Your Watchlist
- Education UPPSC PCS Main Combined/USS Exam Deferred Owing To COVID, To Be Held From March 23 Onwards
- Movies French Actor Gaspard Ulliel Of Moon Knight Fame Passes Away At 37 After Ski Accident
- Automobiles Tata Tiago And Tata Tigor Top Variants Updated: New Features And Colours Added
- Travel Amazing Places To Visit In Assam In Winter Of 2022
Some people often experience heartburn caused by spicy, acidic or fatty foods. Heartburn is characterized by a burning sensation in the chest and throat and this causes discomfort. We will discuss some of the natural remedies that will help relieve you from discomfort caused by heartburn.
Heartburn, also called acid reflux happens when the stomach acid goes back into the oesophagus, a tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. This causes a painful, burning sensation in the chest and throat.
The symptoms of heartburn include acidic taste at the back of the mouth, coughing, a burning sensation in the throat and chest and inflammation in the sinuses to name a few.
Heartburn can be treated with medications, however, certain natural remedies can help provide instant relief.
Home Remedies For Heartburn
Chamomile has been traditionally used for a number of gastrointestinal conditions, which include digestive disorders, gastrointestinal irritation, gas and upset stomach. It can help lower gastric acidity by soothing the stomach and relaxing the muscles .
- Boil a cup of water.
- Steep a chamomile tea bag into it for 10 minutes.
- Take out the bag and drink the tea.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda can provide temporary relief from acid reflux because it has an alkaline pH, which helps to counteract the acidity in your stomach. Baking soda does a similar job of an antacid .
- In a glass of water, dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda and drink it slowly.
Note: Consult your physician before consuming baking soda as it can hinder the absorption of many medications. Baking soda is recommended for acute periods of acid reflux lasting for less than two weeks.
3. Licorice root
Licorice root has been used as a traditional remedy to treat heartburn. It is known to increase the mucous lining in the oesophagus, which may protect the oesophagus from damage caused by stomach acid.
- In a saucepan, boil a licorice root for 15 minutes.
- Take out the root and pour the water in a cup.
4. Aloe vera juice
Aloe vera juice extracted from the aloe vera plant has a soothing effect on the stomach and can lower the symptoms of acid reflux. A study showed that aloe vera is a safe and effective treatment for lowering the symptoms of GERD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease), which occurs when you have constant acid reflux .
- Extract 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and put in the blender.
- Pour 1 glass of water, blend and drink it.
Bananas are a low-acidic fruit that can help people with acid reflux. Upon consumption, it coats the oesophageal lining and helps in relieving discomfort in the stomach.
6. Chewing gum
To reduce the occurrence of acid reflux after a meal and to lower the frequency of acid reflux symptoms chew a gum. It can aid in reducing acid reflux by stimulating saliva and swallowing it, thus improving the burning sensation in the chest .
- Chew a gum for half an hour after meals.
Honey is known to have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. According to a study, honey being a viscous liquid can bring relief from heartburn. In addition, honey is also helpful in preventing GERD .
- Consume 5 ml of honey.
8. Marshmallow root
Marshmallow root contains mucilage, a thick gluey like substance that coats the lining of the oesophagus, which may lower the burning sensation caused by acid reflux.
- Prepare marshmallow rot tea by adding 5 teaspoons of dried marshmallow root into a glass of water.
- Allow it to soak for an hour, strain and consume.
- Loosen your clothing because tight clothing can make you feel uneasy.
- Try standing up whenever you have heartburn. It will help stop the stomach acid from rising back to the oesophagus.
- Try raising your upper body on the bed.
- Avoid fatty and spicy foods.
- Avoid lying down after your meals.
- Keep a time gap of three hours between your dinner and bedtime.
- Limit the intake of alcohol and quit smoking.
Other Tips To Help Treat Acid Reflux
Does milk help in relieving heartburn?
Drinking milk can temporarily reduce stomach acid, however, the fat present in milk can trigger the production of more acid in the stomach. Instead, try consuming fat-free skimmed cold milk to relieve heartburn.
Can you drink water to reduce heartburn?
Drinking water can help treat heartburn by increasing the stomach pH level, diluting the acid and clearing the oesophagus, thereby bringing instant relief.
Can yoghurt help lower heartburn?
Yoghurt, when consumed has a soothing effect on the stomach that can help ease heartburn. It contains probiotics, which help in feeding the good bacteria in the gut, which in turn, keeps your digestive tract healthy.
Should you drink caffeinated drinks to relieve heartburn?
Caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee should be avoided completely as it may further increase the production of stomach acid, causing discomfort in the stomach.
- wellness14 Safe And Effective Home Remedies For Ringworm Infection: Garlic, Tea Tree Oil, Salt And More
- disorders cureMonsoon Allergies: Types Of Common Allergies During The Season And Ways To Manage Them
- disorders cureEverything You Need To Know About Fever, Dengue Fever, Ebola, Chikungunya And Typhoid Fever
- prenatalMorning Sickness During Second Pregnancy: Effective Tips And Remedies
- wellness28 Best Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- wellnessHeadache 101: Everything You Need To Know From Causes, Symptoms To Home Remedies, Foods, Yoga Poses And More
- wellness12 Effective Home Remedies For Swollen Feet
- wellness8 Effective Natural Remedies That Can Help Manage Eczema Symptoms
- body careWhat To Do When See Pigmentation Spots On Your Body
- body careHome Remedies To Treat Dry Hands Caused By Frequent Washing While In Quarantine
- skin careUse These Home Remedies To Beat The Most Common Winter Skin Problems