- Sports Brazil 1 vs Switzerland 0: Casemiro seals Round of 16 berth for Selecao
- Finance How to Register, Login and Transfer Funds Using HDFC Mobile Banking App?
- News IFFI jury head calls The Kashmir Files ‘vulgar’
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada 9: Roopesh Shetty Receives Kiccha Sudeep’s Applause; Show To Have Family Special This Week?
- Travel Serra Verde Express – Wild Ride In Brazil
- Education Karnataka 2nd PUC 2023: Final Date Sheet For Class 12th Declared At pue.karnataka.gov.in; Get Details Here
- Technology Oppo Find N2 Foldable Smartphone Spotted On Geekbench; Could Be Powered By Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- Automobiles Toyota Pulls The Plug On The Innova Crysta – Removed From Official Website
Today is World Kidney Day and it is observed to promote kidney health awareness. The theme of World Kidney Day 2019 is "Kidney health for everyone, everywhere". So on this World Kidney Day, we will be discussing the home remedies for kidney stones.
Kidney stone is a common health problem which is prevalent in both men and women. According to the National Kidney Foundation, the risk of kidney stones is about 19 per cent in men and 9 per cent in women. And men tend to have it after the age of 30.
Kidney stones, also known as renal calculi, occur when hard deposits of minerals and salts form in the kidneys. The most common types of kidney stones are calcium oxalate, uric acid, struvite and cystine  .
Dehydration is the major contributing factor in the development of kidney stones  . Drinking lots of water can help in the treatment of kidney stones. However, you can try a few home remedies, but make sure you seek advice from your doctor before trying.
1. Lemon Juice
People with kidney stones can drink lemon juice for removing kidney stones effectively. Because lemon juice contains citrate, a natural compound that helps in the breakdown of the calcium deposits and prevents further occurrence of kidney stones. Drinking sugar-free lemonade increases the amount of citrate in the urine which inhibit kidney stones  .
- Drink 120 ml of lemon juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then drink again before dinner.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
The presence of citric acid in apple cider vinegar may help dissolve kidney stones by breaking it down into tiny particles which can pass easily through the urethra. Apple cider vinegar also contains potassium which prevents the formation of kidney stones  .
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 250 ml water. Drink it several times a day.
3. Corn Silk
Corn silk is the shiny golden hair found in the husk of the corns which is usually discarded before eating. But a study has shown that drinking corn silk tea increased urine output and the number of decomposed kidney stones through the urinary tract  .
- In a pan of boiling water, add ½ cup of corn silk.
- Strain the water and consume it twice a day daily.
Basil contains acetic acid, which helps in breaking down calcium oxalate stones and reduce pain. It also contains essential compounds that aid in stabilizing uric acid levels thus preventing further occurrence of kidney stones  .
- Have a teaspoon of basil juice per day or use fresh basil leaves to make a tea and drink it several times a day.
5. Hibiscus Flowers
Studies have shown that hibiscus flowers increase urinary oxalate excretion and significantly reduce oxalate deposition in the kidneys  .
- In 250 ml boiling water, add 1-2 teaspoon of dried hibiscus flowers.
- Steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain it and drink it twice a day.
6. Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass contains compounds that dissolve kidney stones and prevent them from forming again. In addition, the presence of antioxidants in wheatgrass help in washing away the minerals and salts in the urinary tract  .
- Drink 250 ml of wheatgrass juice daily.
7. Celery Juice
- Blend 1 to 2 celery stalks with water and drink the juice daily.
8. Black Cumin Seeds
According to a study, black cumin seeds significantly prevented or cured the formation of calcium oxalate stones in the kidney, thanks to its main component thymoquinone  .
- In 250 ml hot water, add ½ teaspoon of dried black cumin seeds.
- Steep it for 20 minutes.
- Strain it and drink it 2 times a day.
9. Olive Oil
- Consume 120 ml of olive oil in the morning and in the afternoon daily.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
In Northern Africa, fenugreek seeds are used to prevent and treat kidney stones. A study found that the seeds significantly reduced calcification in the kidney and helped prevent kidney stones  .
- In a cup of boiling water, add 1 to 2 teaspoon of dried fenugreek seeds.
- Steep for 30 minutes and drink it daily.
-  Coe, F. L., Evan, A., & Worcester, E. (2005). Kidney stone disease.The Journal of clinical investigation,115(10), 2598-608.
-  Han, H., Segal, A. M., Seifter, J. L., & Dwyer, J. T. (2015). Nutritional Management of Kidney Stones (Nephrolithiasis).Clinical nutrition research,4(3), 137-152.
-  Gul, Z., & Monga, M. (2014). Medical and dietary therapy for kidney stone prevention.Korean journal of urology,55(12), 775-779.
-  Ferraro, P. M., Mandel, E. I., Curhan, G. C., Gambaro, G., & Taylor, E. N. (2016). Dietary Protein and Potassium, Diet–Dependent Net Acid Load, and Risk of Incident Kidney Stones.Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology,11(10), 1834-1844.
-  Shamki, A. W., & Al-Amery, H. (2012). Effect of Corn Silk Extract on Kidney Stone Decomposition in Comparison With Alkalinizeragent (uralyte).International Journal of Health and Nutrition,3(2), 1-5.
-  Kulkarni, N., Kapse, N., Pachori, R., & Sadar, P. studies on inhibition of calcium oxalate crystallisation by using plant extract and soil microflora.
-  Laikangbam, R., & Devi, M. D. (2012). Inhibition of calcium oxalate crystal deposition on kidneys of urolithiatic rats by Hibiscus sabdariffa L. extract.Urological research,40(3), 211-218.
-  Satiyavati GV, Raina MK. Medicinal plants of India. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical Research; 1976. p. 107-10.
-  Lin, L. Z., Lu, S., & Harnly, J. M. (2007). Detection and quantification of glycosylated flavonoid malonates in celery, Chinese celery, and celery seed by LC-DAD-ESI/MS.Journal of agricultural and food chemistry,55(4), 1321-6.
-  Hayatdavoudi, P., Khajavi Rad, A., Rajaei, Z., & Hadjzadeh, M. A. (2016). Renal injury, nephrolithiasis and Nigella sativa: A mini review.Avicenna journal of phytomedicine,6(1), 1-8.
-  Alenzi, M., Rahiman, S., & Tantry, B. A. (2017). Antiurolithic effect of olive oil in a mouse model of ethylene glycol-induced urolithiasis.Investigative and clinical urology,58(3), 210-216.
-  Shekha, M. S., Qadir, A. B., Ali, H. H., & Selim, X. E. (2014). Effect of Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) on ethylene glycol induced kidney stone in rats.Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences,147(1573), 1-4.
- wellnessBenefits Of Concord Grapes For Kidney Health
- nutritionWorld Kidney Day: 10 Best Detox Drinks For The Kidneys
- wellnessThis One Natural Ingredient Helps Cleanse Your Pancreas, Liver & Kidneys
- wellnessHow To Repair Your Kidneys Naturally Using Baking Soda
- wellnessWhen Should You Include More Salt?
- wellnessStay Away From Air Pollution, Know How It Harms Your Kidneys
- wellnessScary & Bad Things That Can Happen To Your Vagina As You Age
- wellnessOne Simple Way To Check If You Have Any Health Issue In 1 Minute
- wellnessShocking! Are Incense Sticks (Agarbatti) Harmful? Read This To Find Out?
- wellnessOrgan Donation Day; Important Organs That You Can Donate
- wellnessBenefits Of Lower Abdominal Massage
- wellnessScary Ways In Which You Can Be Damaging Your Kidneys Without Knowing