Baddha konasana, for the beginners is among the ten essential poses because it's considered as a good basic stretch that almost anyone can do comfortably.
Being an infant, we all sit in that pose but gradually being adults, we get so much involved with the work and most of the time goes in sitting and working on the chair in the office.
As a result of this, our body begins to succumb and we start facing multiple problems according to the age, including back pain, joints problem and another very common ailment that is usually found in females nowadays - PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
Polycystic ovarian syndrome consists of small cysts in the ovary, which are responsible for the reproductive, psychological and hormonal imbalances in the body.
About 5%-10 % of the women are diagnosed with PCOD on an average. In PCOS, androgens get increased while progesterone level is lowered, which results to an increased level of the testosterone production in the body.
This problem is highly on an increase these days. In order to get over this problem, following is the way suggested to do a special asana, known as the Baddha Konasana.
Steps To Be Followed For The Asana:
1. Just keep your legs straight in front of you while sitting and keep a high pillow or blanket under your pelvis if your hips or groins are tight. Exhale and bend your knees further. Now, drag your feet towards your pelvis and then drop your knees out to the sides by pressing the soles of your feet together.
2. Get your feet close to the pelvis, as much as you can. Hold your foot thumb and the first toe finger and grasp your foot closer. Remember to keep the outer edge of the feet firmly on the floor.If it isn't possible to hold the toes, clasp each hand around the same-side ankle or shin.
3. Make sure, your sitting position is such that the pubis in front and the tail bone in back are equidistant from the floor. The perineum will then be almost parallel to the floor and the pelvis in a neutral position.
Sit in such a way that the sacrum is kept firm and the shoulder blades against the back. Lengthen the front torso through the top of the sternum.
4. You should never force your knees down. Rather, raise your upper thighs towards the floor. The knees will automatically get to the right position.
5. Maintain this position for 1-5 minutes and then take a deep breath, lift your knees away from the floor and get the legs back to their original position.
What Causes PCOS
- High ambition in females
- Perennial tension
- Modern lifestyle
- Irregular periods
- Ovarian cyst
- Acne and pimples
- Hair loss
- Frequent mood swings
- Hair growth on the face and rest of the body
- Weight imbalance
- Muscles and bone enlargement
In order to stay healthy and avoid medicines, this is a very effective Asana. One should follow doing it religiously and calmly. It helps to widen the pelvic area and also promotes relaxation and helps beat stress. It also helps maintain your regular monthly cycle.