- 9 hrs ago International Day Of Yoga 2021: 15 Easy Yoga Poses For Children
- 16 hrs ago Father’s Day 2021: 5 Grooming Products To Gift Your Dad And Show Him That You Care
- 17 hrs ago International Yoga Day 2021: Benefits Of Tortoise Pose Yoga And How To Do It
- 1 day ago Father’s Day 2021: Here’s The History And Significance Of This Day
- Sports WTC Final: India vs New Zealand: Would have been great if we had a go at Taylor this evening: Gill
- Movies Kartik Aaryan’s Action Avatar In This Video Leaves Our Jaws Dropped!
- News Free vaccines for all 18+ from Monday: All you need to know
- Finance Bitcoin And Other Altcoins Tumble Again Over Weekend: Here's The Reason
- Technology Vivo V21e 5G Flipkart Page Live Ahead Of Launch; Here's The Expected Price
- Automobiles Emissions & PUC Tests Become Centralised — Your Vehicle Can Now Get A Rejection Slip For Pollution
- Education International Yoga Day 2021: Try These 5 Yoga Exercises To Improve Posture While Working From Home
- Travel Best Places To Visit In South India In August
We have seen it on television, mostly in telemarketing channels where the enthusiastic spokesperson defines the benefits of the sweatband one after the other, without halting. But are stomach sweatbands really good for your body? Can it actually help you lose weight? Well, that is what we are going to check out today.
Sweatbands, also called waist belts, abdominal sweatbands, abdominal wraps and waist trimmers bands encompass your midsection of the stomach, holding heat in as you exercise. Most people are of the wrong belief that wrapping a sweatband around their stomach will burn abdominal fat and flatten their tummy. Let me bring to your attention to the fact that there is no scientific evidence to support this practice.
Experts point out that these stomach sweatbands, while has no positive effects on your body and physique, can have some adverse effects . So, let's check out the question in hand - "do stomach bands really work?"
Do Sweatbands Help Lose Weight?
A stomach sweatband makes you sweat more, so any weight you lose is likely to be water weight . This is not much happy news because the water weight you lose will come back when you drink water after your workout.
In fact, these bands may make it even harder to lose fat, as they make it harder for you to use your abdominal muscles (restricting easy movement), limiting the number of calories you burn . Experts also say that, if the sweatband makes you feel overheated, you are most likely to end up doing less exercise and burning fewer calories.
There are different types of stomach sweatbands available in the market, with the common ones being heated sweatbands and unheated sweatbands. Fitness experts warn that heated sweatbands should be avoided at all costs, as there have been reports of it causing burns and skin irritations (due to the excessive heat) .
While there are no scientific proofs for the effectiveness of stomach sweatbands, there are numerous science-backed reasons as to why you should AVOID it.
Why Should You NOT Use Stomach Sweatbands?
Just because you are sweating does not mean you are losing any weight - these sweatbands have a sauna-like effect that wears off in no time. Read on to know why you should avoid using stomach sweatbands.
Does not cut down fat cells: Sweatbands make it even harder to lose fat, as they make it harder for your abdominal muscles, limiting the number of calories you burn. If you feel overheated, you might end up doing less exercise and burning fewer calories, and it is not possible to spot how much fat has been reduced .
Only loses water weight: Sweatbands almost cover your entire torso. When you wear it on your stomach, it makes you sweat more, so any weight you lose is likely to be water weight. This water weight will come back when you hydrate your body by drinking water, and you will tend to put on weight again .
Does not engage the muscles: Sweatbands can do more harm to your body because it prevents your core muscles from engaging in the abdominal area. Build a strong core by doing crunches, and a strong torso means building both core stability and core strength .
Compresses the stomach: Sweatbands are known for compressing fats in the abdomen area, which is not healthy for your body. Unhealthy fats are toxic and can lead to various diseases such as hypertension, stroke, etc. Therefore, the fats should not be compressed, and they should be eliminated from the body.
Limits blood circulation: The sweatbands compressed in the stomach area tend to compress blood vessels too, preventing the smooth circulation of the blood .
On A Final Note...
No, stomach sweatbands do not help lose belly fat, nor does it aid weight loss. These bands are superficial and have only a temporary effect. However, it can be used as an abdominal strengthening alternative - but never a substitute. Without the right diet and proper exercise, the sweatbands are basically of no good to your body and can only have adverse effects.