Rice puttu is an authentic Kerala recipe that falls in the 'must be made' list during Onam. Onam is a ten day festival that is celebrated in Kerala. People prefer some Onam recipes during this time. Rice puttu being one of them. There is a grand feast called Onasadya that is held on the last day of Onam. It is a nine course meal consisting of some essential Onam recipes.
Rice puttu is a nutritious and delightful Kerala recipe that consists of grated coconut and rice powder as its main ingredients. The best part of this puttu recipe is that it is steamed and hence, is extremely healthy. This Onam recipe is extremely low in calorie count. Get to celebrate this holy eve with this amazing puttu recipe and make the occasion special for everyone in the family. You have to use a puttu maker for the purpose. It might either be a puttukutty or micro puttu.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
- Rice Flour- 4-5 cups
- Coconut- 2-3 cups (grated)
- Salt- To taste
- Boil some water in a pan over the gas oven and add some salt to it.
- Take the rice flour in a medium sized container. Add the salty water to it gently in small quantities.
- You must be careful that you must not add too much of it.
- The rice flour must be dry enough so that it does not form a dough and at the same time it must be moist enough to make small lumps.
- Now take the puttu pot and add about 1-1 ½ cup of water in it. Bring it to boil.
- Add a handful of coconut to the puttu container. Then add another 2-3 handfuls of the moist rice flour to the same. Repeat this until the puttu maker gets filled to the top.
- Keep this vessel on the puttu pot and let it steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Use a spatula to push off your rice puttu out of the vessel.
- Your rice puttu is now ready to be served.
You may serve the rice puttu with sambhar or savour it the way it is.