- 5 hrs ago Bhediya Schedule Wrap: Kriti Sanon Has Our Attention With Her Knitted Pink Cardigan
- 6 hrs ago Ram Navami 2021: Muhurta, Rituals and Significance Of This Festival
- 6 hrs ago Style Alert! Neha Kakkar Teams Her Favourite Green Dramatic Dress With Black Boots And It’s A Perfect Match
- 7 hrs ago Chaitra Navratri 2021: Maha Ashtami Puja Muhurta, Rituals and Significance
- Sports IPL 2021: Last two games we’ve adjusted to the conditions: Sam Curran after CSK’s win over RR
- Education UPSC EPFO Exam Postponed Due To Surge In COVID-19 Cases
- News PM Modi to meet COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers today as govt opens jabs for all above 18 years
- Movies Nakuul Mehta’s Wife Jankee Reveals Their Two-Month-Old Son Was Diagnosed With Bilateral Inguinal Hernia
- Automobiles 2022 Nissan GT-R Nismo Revealed: Features Aesthetic Changes and Performance Upgrades
- Technology Infinix Hot 10 Play With Helio G35 SoC Officially Announced; Price, Specifications
- Finance What is Cheque Bounce?
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Lakshadweep In April 2021
Ponrum tunaiyum pukal
As a translation of this forbearance,thirukkural, none can do better than Rajaji – who gives it crisply as below:
Retaliation gives but a day's joy; Forbearance brings glory for all time.
For the sake of the short-lived satisfaction of having taken it out on the opponent, 'an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth', it is foolish to forego the lasting reward of forbearance, which is really the esteem of good men for all time. For the moment, one may be able to exult with the feeling, that he has achieved what he intended; but in the long ru, it will result only in ruinous loss. It is not wise, therefore, to sacrifice the greater gain for the fleeting pleasure.
It is surprising that those high principles were prevalent in TamilNadu at a time, when the current legal norms were those of Hamurabi, Manu, Moses and Kautiyla; (i.e.) 'an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth'.
The same idea has been expressed in Pazhamozhi as well:
Karuthaatrith thammaik kadiya seithaaraip Poruthaatrich saeral puhalaal
Jesus Christ and Mahatma Gandhi have, in their lives, time and again, demonstrated the glory of forbearance effectively.