- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 06 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 18 hrs ago Tribute: American Country Music Icon Loretta Lynn No More At 90
- 19 hrs ago Navratri 2022: Goddess Chamunda Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- 21 hrs ago Balaji (Hanuman) of Mehandipur In Rajasthan: Timings, How To Reach, Puja Rituals And Legends
- News 'Godfather' 1st day box office collection: Chiranjeevi-starrer off to a flying start
- Movies The Ghost Day 1 Box Office Collection Worldwide: Nagarjuna's Thriller Opens To Decent Numbers!
- Sports Legends League Cricket: Full List of Award Winners, Player of the Match, Player of the Tournament
- Finance Prabhudas Lilladher Picks 5 Stocks To Buy Amid Festive Cheer For Gains Up To 20%
- Education JIO ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF JIO TRUE 5G
- Automobiles Mahindra XUV300 Sportz Edition Spotted - Comes With More Power & A Few Visual Tweaks
- Travel Most Interesting Facts About Kullu Dussehra
- Technology Google Pixel 7 vs Pixel 7 Pro: What Differences Can We Expect?
Raksha Bandhan is a festival that is meant to celebrate the powerful bond between a brother and a sister. The sister ties a sacred thread, known as rakhi, around the wrist of her brother. While tying the rakhi, she prays for a long and healthy life for her brother; it is a ritualistic way of ensuring a safe and happy life for her brother. It is believed that the rakhi works as a kavach (armour), which means that it offers a defensive mechanism powered by the blessings of a sister to protect her brother. This year, in 2019, raksha bandhan is on 15th August.
Rakha Bandhan 2019
Raksha Bandhan falls on the Purnima of the Shravana month as per the Hindu calendar. According to Hindu scriptures and texts, is believed that there is a muhurta (auspicious time) to tie a rakhi. There are rules regarding on which hand the rakhi should be tied.
On Which Hand Should We Tie The Rakhi?
According to some ancient religious texts, there is a correct way of performing every ritual. These rules say that the rakhi should be tied on the right wrist only.
The right part of the body is believed to show us the right path. It has more ability to control the body and the mind; whereas, using the left hand is considered inauspicious for every ritual. That's why the rakhi should actually be tied by the sister with her right hand and on the right hand of her brother.
Why Do We Tie A Rakhi On The Wrist?
On the day of raksha bandhan, the sisters decorate the rakhi trays and include various sacred items on it. She first puts a tilak on his forehead, then performs the aarti before him. After the tying of the rakhi, the sister hands a coconut to he brother. The brother then blesses the sister and also give her money so that she can get a gift of her choice.
But, have you ever wondered why the rakhi is actually tied? Besides, the ancient religious texts and scriptures that tells us the significance behind the celebration of this day, there are spiritual, Ayurvedic as well as psychological reasons for this ritual too.
Some believed that the festival of Rakhi was actually started when the king Mahabali had made Lord Vishnu promise that he would stay with him in the Patal Loka (Netherworld). Goddess Lakshmi was worried as to who would look after the Prithvi Loka (the Earth) and when Lord Vishnu would be there.
So Goddess Lakshmi went to Maabali's Palace in the Patal Loka, convinced him to become her brother and tied a rakhi around his wrist. In return for this, the goddess asked for Lord Vishnu to be relieved of his promise and sent back to his abode in Vaikuntha.
Spirituality says tying the rakhi on this wrist brings the blessings of Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma. Besides this, Goddess Durga also gives emotional and material strength along with knowledge to her brother.
Ayurveda says that the thread tied on the wrist regulates the Pitta and Kafffa. Pitta and Kaffa are two of the three elements of the body as per Ayurveda. Pitta and Kaffa constitute the fire, water and earth elements of the body. When these get regulated, the overall health remains good.
Similarly, the person feels more confident and secure, knowing that a thread of protection and love is tied around the wrist.
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 06 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- faith mysticismNavratri 2022: Goddess Chamunda Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- faith mysticismBalaji (Hanuman) of Mehandipur In Rajasthan: Timings, How To Reach, Puja Rituals And Legends
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 05 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- faith mysticismNavratri 2022: Goddess Vishalakshi Shakti Peeth in Kashi
- faith mysticismNavratri 2022: Goddess Chintpurni Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 04 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- faith mysticismDurga Puja 2022: List Of South Indian Naivedya Offered To Goddess Durga On Navratri
- festivalsDurga Navami 2022: Maha Navami Date, Time, Significance, And Celebrations In Different States
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 03 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- remediesRemedial Measures In Astrology To Counter Different Problems In Life
- horoscopeWeekly Horoscope, 02 October To 08 October 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs