Diwali the 'festival of lights’ is known to be celebrated to commemorate the return of Lord Ram to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile and killing Raavan but this is not the only reason. Diwali is also celebrated because it is on this very day of the month of Kartik emerged the goddess of wealth and prosperity, Maa Lakshmi, during the great Samudra-manthan performed by the Devas and the Asurs.
So, the importance of Lakshmi Puja in Diwali is obviously great in terms of magnitude.
Devi Lakshmi is the consort of Lord Vishnu and is shown being seated on a lotus flower, holding a lotus in hand and showering wealth from the other. Adorned with beautiful gold ornaments, goddess Lakshmi is worshiped for prosperity and progress by every Hindu.
The importance of Lakshmi Puja in Diwali is not limited to material gains only but also for the spiritual growth of one’s mind and body. The deity who is a symbol of all worldly and materialistic luxuries is also also symbol of patience and detachment from desires. The lesson here is to aspire for attachment with the supreme being, God. Following are some more things that explain the importance of Laksmi Puja in Diwali.
1. As mentioned before, goddess Laxmi is the goddess of wealth and prosperity. Wealth is very important to survive in this world. Wealth does not only mean monetary benefits but also the skills that are necessary to manage it well. Mahalakshmi is the one who can bestow all such blessings on you.
2. The name of the great goddess 'Lakshmi’ has been derived from the word 'Lakshme’ which in Sanskrit means goal. Lakshmi Puja is also done for the successful attainment of one’s desired goals and ambitions.
3. Maa Adi Lakshmi gives us the mental strength and a calm mind to be able to handle even the worst of situations. She is the one who instills the realisation of being a part of the greater being and lets us get rid of all the fears and insecurities.
4. Dhan Lakshmi gives us the material wealth and Dhanya Lakshmi provides us with food, without which we will cease to exist. These two aspects of Mahalakshmi come to us for a healthy living.
5. Vidya Lakshmi bestows us with the skills, talents, knowledge and wisdom to help us take our steps forward and grow, be it spiritually or materially.
6. Dhairya Lakshmi imbibes us with patience and the courage to keep persevering towards our aims, guiding us through our efforts and it is Vijay Lakshmi that leads us to our final victory.
7. Sanatan Lakshmi is unveiled in the form of creativity and progeny. All those who are bestowed with her blessings are filled with imagination, creativity, vision and inspiration.
8. Finally, Bhagya Lakshmi comes to us in the form of good fortune and destiny to grant us all the necessities of life for us and our families. Lakshmi Puja in Diwali is of utmost importance to attain growth in all aspects of life.