- 4 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 16 May 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 19 hrs ago Got Thin Brittle Nails? Check Out These 8 Kitchen Ingredients That Can Help
- 20 hrs ago Expert Article: Causes And Prevention Of Repeated IVF Failures
- 21 hrs ago Satyanarayan Puja May 2022 Date: Know All The Four Vrat Kathas Assosiated With This Day
- Finance Stock To Buy: Company Where e-mobility Is Driving The Next Phase Of Growth
- Movies Kangana Ranaut Lauds South Films For Being Relatable; 'They Are Deeply Rooted In Their Culture'
- News IMD issues Red alert in 5 districts of Kerala as heavy rain continues to lash the state
- Technology Wordle 331 For May 16: Wordle Hints, Clues, Final Answer For May 16 Challenge
- Sports Cagliari 1-3 Inter: Martinez brace ensures Serie A title race goes to the wire
- Automobiles Tips To Protect Car Paint
- Travel Fun-filled Family Weekend Getaways Near Delhi
- Education CG Board Class 12th Result Out: Kunti Sao Becomes Topper With 98.20%
Becoming a mother involves a lot of physical and emotional changes. Pregnancy brain or forgetfulness during pregnancy and early motherhood are considered to be one such change which is temporary and may get resolved within a few months after the delivery. 
Pregnancy brain is some degree of cognitive changes in women during pregnancy and postpartum periods. The changes are usually memory disturbances, forgetfulness, difficulty reading and poor concentration.
Though pregnancy brain is considered to be a common postpartum condition, discussion on its existence is debatable. Take a look at the details.
Some Symptoms Of Pregnancy Brain
Some of the symptoms of pregnancy brain include:
- Difficulties in remembering some details.
- Difficulties to focus on certain tasks.
- Forgetting the date of the appointment.
- Shifting things to a different place and forgetting later.
What Are The Causes Of Pregnancy Brain?
The most common cause of pregnancy brain is drastic fluctuation in hormones during the gestation period. Studies say that primary pregnancy hormones like progesterone and estradiol increase by 70 and 30-fold compared to other nonpregnant hormones in the body. 
Other reproductive hormones like prolactin and testosterone also fluctuate during these times. Key steroid hormones like cortisol hike in the morning while decline throughout the day.
Another study talks about changes in brain size during and after pregnancy. It says that during pregnancy, the size of the brain decreases while it increases in size after delivery. This may explain a bit about pregnancy brain. 
Changes in the brain's grey matter also take place post-delivery. According to a study, grey matter of the brain that helps process information, increases within 4-6 weeks after delivery. This may give rise to the pregnancy brain. 
Other causes of pregnancy brain may include sleep deprivation and stress that automatically follows pregnancy.
Is Pregnancy Brain A Normal Condition?
Yes, experts say that pregnancy brain is a normal condition. This is because childbirth is both exciting and overwhelming, followed by the anxiety of the responsibility of a child. This may make you multitask a lot, and in the process, you may temporarily start forgetting things, leading to pregnancy brain.
How To Manage Pregnancy Brain?
Some of the best ways to manage pregnancy brain include:
- Get enough sleep: Maternal sleep deprivation may significantly increase anxiety and depression in pregnant women and cause deficits in memory and learning abilities. This is why get enough sleep and relax and give enough time to your brain to process things. 
- Drink enough water: Dehydration has a lot of adverse effects on the body, including mental health. Drinking enough water throughout the day helps keep the vitals healthy and maintain your cognitive health.
- Eat nutritional foods: Malnutrition can also lead to improper functioning of the brain, leading to forgetfulness. Eat nutritional foods consisting of nutrients like omega-3, antioxidants, vitamin K and folate that helps keep the brain cells healthy.
- Keep a daily calendar: Keeping and maintaining a daily calendar helps you keep a note of your daily tasks and avoid any confusion in memorising things.
- Set alarms or reminders: Setting up reminders may help you remember your appointment dates. It also helps you set priorities and complete tasks in an organised way.
Though pregnancy brain is a common condition, it is not common in all pregnant women. The best way to deal with the condition is to keep a note of your daily essentials, get enough sleep and maintain a healthy diet.
Pregnancy is a period when a lot of hormonal and emotional changes take place in the body. Some of these changes like fluctuation in progesterone hormone directly affect mental health and lead to cognitive changes like forgetfulness or pregnancy brain.
Pregnancy brain is a temporary condition that occurs during pregnancy or after delivery. It is characterised by forgetfulness and difficulties in remembering details.
Pregnancy brain fog or say pregnancy brain is mainly caused by factors like hormonal fluctuation, stress, inadequate diet and changes in brain structure.
- basicsExpert Article: Causes And Prevention Of Repeated IVF Failures
- basicsExpert Article: Do You Have Endometriosis? Symptoms And Treatment
- wellnessIs Shawarma Healthy? Can Pregnant Women Eat It? What Do Experts Have To Say
- basicsWhat Expectant Dads Need To Anticipate During The Trimesters, Labor And Delivery
- wellnessNational Thalassemia Day 2022: Pregnancy In Women With Thalassemia
- recipesHealthy Breakfast Recipe For Pregnant Women: How To Prepare Beetroot And Sesame Chapati
- babyTransmission Of COVID-19 Infection From Mother To Baby Rare: BMJ Study
- menPunjab Polls: Conjoined Twins Vote Separately, Given Dark Glasses For Secrecy
- prenatalExpert Article: Is Your Pregnancy A High Risk One?
- basicsParental Vaccination Against Covid-19 Protects Children As Well: Study
- basicsExpert Article: Do's And Don'ts After An Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) Procedure
- prenatalWhat Does It Mean To Have Placenta Previa Or Low Lying Placenta? Symptoms, Causes And Treatments