You might have heard people saying that any form of alcohol use can be injurious for your health, but a new research suggests that drinking a glass of red wine occasionally can actually be helpful.
This might come as a surprise, but a new study has found that drinking a glass of red wine every week helps to improve your chances of pregnancy. However, one should understand that if one drinks too much of red wine then it could turn harmful.
The study conducted by researchers from Washington University in the US have found that would-be mothers who regularly drank red wine had better ovarian reserve - the quantity of eggs present in the ovaries at any one time.
During the study, the researchers had taken into consideration 135 women in the age group of 18-44 years. The participants were asked to keep a track of of their wine intake.
During the study, the researchers used ultrasound scanners to count each woman's antral follicles, a proxy for the number of eggs she had left for the future.
Also Read: Best Way To Lower Risk Of Liver Cancer
Following the research it was found that those who consumed more than five servings of red wine a month enjoyed a higher ovarian reserve which is a measure of a woman's reproductive health.
Meanwhile, the researchers further noted that white wine, beer and spirits were not linked to higher fertility.
Here are a few of the other benefits of drinking red wine. Take a look.
1. Good For The Heart:
Red wine contains compounds like polyphenols, resveratrol and quercetin that are known to have cardioprotective properties. The quercetin compound helps regulate the blood pressure prevents oxidative stress and thus help promote heart health.
Several studies have shown that drinking red wine in a moderate amount helps to keeping your heart healthy.
2. Help Improve Cholesterol:
The compound resveratrol contained in red wine helps to reduce the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or what is known as the bad cholesterol and prevents blood clot.
However, one should keep in mind that the benefits can be attained only when one drinks in a moderate level, excess of it can be harmful.
3. Help Manage Diabetes:
Drinking red wine in moderation and occasionally helps to slow the passage of glucose and prevents the spike of blood sugar level. Red wine aids in inhibiting the activity of an enzyme that triggers the absorption of glucose, thus preventing diabetes.
4. Prevents Weight Gain:
Red wine contains a compound called piceatannol that helps to block the immature fat cell's ability to develop and helps in destroying the fat cells. This having a glass of red wine occasionally actually helps prevent weight gain and obesity.
5. Help Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease:
The resveratrol compound contained in red wine helps in the prevention of alzheimer's disease and slows the progression of dementia as well. Several studies have pointed that drinking wine in moderation helps to lower the risk of developing mild co gnitive impairment.
- Is Amenorrhea Treatable? Here Are Interesting Things To Know About This Condition
- Should You Do Genetic Testing Before Getting Pregnant?
- Ready For A Baby? Here’s How You Should Be Emotionally Prepared
- Placentophagy: What You Should Know About Eating Placenta
- What Is Amniotic Band Syndrome And How To Deal With It?
- How To Manage Carpal Tunnel Syndrome During Pregnancy?
- What Is External Cephalic Version? How Is It Done?
- What Causes Varicose Veins During Pregnancy And How To Prevent It
- What You Should Know About Pregnancy-induced Asthma
- Lead Poisoning During Pregnancy: What You Should Know
- From Controlling Diabetes To Curing Fever, Here Are The Amazing Health Benefits Of Snake Gourd
- Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: What You Should Know