- 29 min ago Sonam Dazzled In A Plush Attire At Cannes 2019, But Was It Too Maximalist For A Dinner Party?
- 42 min ago Compartment Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 12 hrs ago Former Miss Worlds, Aishwarya & Priyanka Made A Strong Case For Dreamy White Gowns At Cannes 2019
- 12 hrs ago Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Rules The Red Carpet With Her Magical Feathered White Gown
- News Will Modi factor work for BJP in 2019? Check what this survey says
- Movies Raghava Lawrence UPSET With Akshay Kumar After His Bitter Fallout With Laxmmi Bomb Makers?
- Technology Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL facing random shutdowns: Report
- Automobiles Renault Reveals Official Teaser Video For The Triber — More Passion For Life Coming July 2019
- Sports 'Rush', a film inspired by Niki Lauda-James Hunt rivalry
- Finance Bitcoin Rally Continues After A Short Drag; Breaches $8000 Mark
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019 Will Be Declared Tomorrow At 11 AM
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Every time a legend passes away, the nation mourns the death while the millennials are unsure of the great work they would have served the country with.
One such great personality is that of Mr George Fernandes who was also the Defence Minister of India.
Since the nation is mourning his death, we are here to share some of the lesser-known facts about the great legend.
Check it out...
He Was Known For His Simplicity
George Mathew Fernandes was known for his simplicity. He would do the dishes and wash clothes even as a union minister.
He Was Elected 9 Times
George Mathew Fernandes was elected nine times to the Lok Sabha. He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1967. He held high portfolios such as communications, industry, and railways, apart from serving as Defence Minister.
He Was A Long-time Socialist
He was a long-time socialist, who rose to political prominence when he was the leader at the Bombay Taxi Unions Association. He defeated "Uncrowned King of Bombay" S.K. Patil, who was a Congress heavy-weight in the 1967 general election.
He Disguised Himself To Avoid Getting Arrested
To avoid being arrested during the 1975-77 Emergency, he went into hiding as a Sikh man, with beard and turban and as a result, he did not get caught.
He Suffered From Alzheimer's Disease
It is reported that Fernandes was apparently suffering from Alzheimer's disease. He had been out of the public eye and has been bedridden for more than eight years.