TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Why Pakistan’s Action Against JeM Is An Eye-Wash, Insufficient
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Series To Sport Steam PC Game Streaming
- Bajaj Discover 110 Launched With CBS At Rs 52,273
- La Liga Preview: Barçelona Face Stiff Sevilla Test As Battles Up And Down The Table Heats Up
- Small And Midcap Stocks Could Deliver Abnormal Gains
- The Story Of Lubdhaka And Lord Shiva
- Kangana Ranaut Caught Riding A Fake Horse During Manikarnika
- Best Places In India To Celebrate Holi 2019
Every time a legend passes away, the nation mourns the death while the millennials are unsure of the great work they would have served the country with.
One such great personality is that of Mr George Fernandes who was also the Defence Minister of India.
Since the nation is mourning his death, we are here to share some of the lesser-known facts about the great legend.
Check it out...
He Was Known For His Simplicity
George Mathew Fernandes was known for his simplicity. He would do the dishes and wash clothes even as a union minister.
He Was Elected 9 Times
George Mathew Fernandes was elected nine times to the Lok Sabha. He was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1967. He held high portfolios such as communications, industry, and railways, apart from serving as Defence Minister.
He Was A Long-time Socialist
He was a long-time socialist, who rose to political prominence when he was the leader at the Bombay Taxi Unions Association. He defeated "Uncrowned King of Bombay" S.K. Patil, who was a Congress heavy-weight in the 1967 general election.
He Disguised Himself To Avoid Getting Arrested
To avoid being arrested during the 1975-77 Emergency, he went into hiding as a Sikh man, with beard and turban and as a result, he did not get caught.
He Suffered From Alzheimer's Disease
It is reported that Fernandes was apparently suffering from Alzheimer's disease. He had been out of the public eye and has been bedridden for more than eight years.