Guzzling down healthy calories in the form of sugary drinks like soda comes with several health dangers. Soda consumption has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.
It is also the major reason for the increasing cases of obesity. Drinking soda can trigger your sweet cravings by dulling your sensitivity to sweet tastes.
This can increase the chances of one eating more of sweet foods and drinks.
Diet soda intake is directly related to abdominal fat in adults over the age of 65 years.
The increase in waist size among diet-soda drinkers was three times the amount when compared to non-drinkers.
It is hence time that you actually kicked the soda and replace it with healthy and nutritious drinks instead.
As per Dr. Manjari Chandra, Senior Consultant Nutritionist, Max Healthcare, anything that comes in boxes and tins and those that are processed are very unhealthy, as they are loaded with added sugars.
"Ideally, replacing unhealthy drinks is very easy. You can for natural foods like a cup of buttermilk, fresh cup of coffee or tea or infused water that come with flavours of cinnamon and lemon. These are considered to be healthier alternatives", she adds.
In this article, we have mentioned some of the best drinks that can replace soda as a part of the National Nutrition Week. Read further to know more about the healthy alternatives to diet soda.
1. Flavoured Water:
Go for flavoured water that has a natural flavouring. As Dr. Manjari suggests, you can add slices of fruits and vegetables like lemon, oranges, watermelon, cucumber, mint or lime.
2. Green Tea:
You can have green tea either hot or iced and it is available in many varieties. It helps reduce the risk of several types of cancer, heart disease, hypertension, kidney stones, etc. This is one of the best drinks to replace soda.
3. Juice With Seltzer:
Mixing 100% juice with a seltzer provides you with several health benefits. You can go for any kind of juice like pomegranate juice, tart juice or grape juice. It helps with fighting against urinary tract infections and kidney stones.
4. Lemon Lime Soda:
Start with a glass of sparkling water, add a few slices of lemon or lime and a stevia based sweetener which is a calorie free drink and low in carbs. This is one of the best drinks that can replace soda. This is one of the best healthy alternatives to diet soda.
5. Red Wine:
Red wine helps lower the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer's disease and cancer.
With inputs From Dr. Manjari Chandra
- List Of 11 Foods That Cause Inflammation Of The Joints
- List Of 11 Foods You Can't Eat With Braces
- One Can Of Soda Can Do This To Your Body!
- Are You Addicted To Diet Soda?Reasons You Should Stop It Immediately
- Worst Foods That Can Cause High Blood Pressure
- Diet Drinks, Soda May Make You Gain Weight: Study
- Do Artificially Sweetened Sodas Cause Infertility
- Reason Why You Should Stop Drinking Soda & Opt for Stairs At Work
- 7 Surprising Ways To Prevent A Hangover
- Secrets To Strip Fat From The Belly And Back
- Soft Drinks Can Increase Breast Cancer Risk - Finds Study
- Now Lose Weight Consistently Without Gaining Back The Lost Pounds With These Tips
- 15 Best Drinks To Increase Your Sexual Stamina