Air pollution has become a serious cause of concern affecting major Indian cities. The worst consequences was recently witnessed by the national capital, Delhi. Schools were shut, all major mode of communication like the buses, train as well as the flights were severely affected.
It does not stop there. Rising level of air pollution can lead to serious health issues. Respiratory problem, lung infection and asthma are a few of the most common side effects of air pollution. This apart, air pollution can have a serious impact on the sperm quality in men.
A new study has found a strong link between air pollution and a drop in sperm quality.
According to the lead author of the research Dr Lao Xiang Qian, from the Chinese University of Hong Kong said that, air pollution is the world's largest single environmental health risk.
When we breathe in an area with high levels of air pollution, fine particulates containing toxic chemicals such as heavy metals pass into our lungs, allowing them to enter the bloodstream and thus damage the semen.
For the study the researchers had taken into account sperm quality samples from 6,500 men all in the age group of 15-49 years in Taiwan, and matched it against the fine particulate levels at their home addresses.
They found a strong association between high air-pollution levels and abnormal sperm shape. The effects were relatively small, but given the prevalence of air pollution the researchers note that even small changes resulting from it could present a major public health challenge.
So, listed here are a few foods that help in improving the sperm quality. Take a look.
1. Dark Chocolates:
Dark chocolates contains essential amino-acids and are high on antioxidants. These ingredients help in improving the sperm count as well as the volume of semen. Consuming dark chocolates in limited quantity can be helpful. However, one should make it a point not to consume too much of it as this could cause an imbalance in the testosterone.
Garlic is one of the best known ingredients that help in improving the sperm count. Garlic contains allicin, which helps in improving the blood flow and protects the sperm from getting damaged. In addition to this garlic also contains an important antioxidant called selenium which improves sperm motility. Consuming 1-2 cloves of garlic everyday helps.
A deficiency in vitamin A in the body can have a serious impact on the sperm count in men. Having foods rich in vitamin A helps in improving the sperm count. Broccoli is one such food which is packed with lots of vitamin A. The best way to consume broccoli is to add it raw in the salads or consume it half cooked.
Among all the nuts, walnuts are one of the best. Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids that helps to boost blood flow to the genitals and thus help increase the sperm count. Consuming a handful of walnuts on a regular basis helps.
Rich in vitamin C, A and B1, banana also contains an important enzyme called bromelain. This will help in boosting the body's ability to produce sperm. Thus, consuming banana on a regular basis helps in improving the sperm quality.
(With Agency Inputs)
- 9 Ways On How To Prevent Childhood Cancer (International Childhood Cancer Day)
- Ayurveda Suggests These Ways To Prevent Pollution Side Effects
- Benefits Of Having Plants In Your Bedroom + 9 Best Indoor Plants For Clean Air
- Air Pollution Can Affect Your Bones - Study
- Air Pollution Can Affect Your Mental Health Says Study
- AIIMS Develops Device To Fight Air Pollution
- Diwali: Yogasanas To Beat The Ill Effects Of Pollution
- 10 Best Ways To Prevent Asthma Attack During Diwali
- Stay Away From Air Pollution, Know How It Harms Your Kidneys
- Study Says Indians Can Live 4 Years More With Cleaner Air; Dangerous Effects Of Air Pollution
- Your Car May Contain Harmful Pollutants: Study
- Exposure To Ozone Increases The Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease – Study
- 12 Indian Foods To Increase Sperm Count Fast