- 5 hrs ago Bhediya Schedule Wrap: Kriti Sanon Has Our Attention With Her Knitted Pink Cardigan
- 6 hrs ago Ram Navami 2021: Muhurta, Rituals and Significance Of This Festival
- 6 hrs ago Style Alert! Neha Kakkar Teams Her Favourite Green Dramatic Dress With Black Boots And It’s A Perfect Match
- 7 hrs ago Chaitra Navratri 2021: Maha Ashtami Puja Muhurta, Rituals and Significance
- Sports IPL 2021: Last two games we’ve adjusted to the conditions: Sam Curran after CSK’s win over RR
- Education UPSC EPFO Exam Postponed Due To Surge In COVID-19 Cases
- News PM Modi to meet COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers today as govt opens jabs for all above 18 years
- Movies Nakuul Mehta’s Wife Jankee Reveals Their Two-Month-Old Son Was Diagnosed With Bilateral Inguinal Hernia
- Automobiles 2022 Nissan GT-R Nismo Revealed: Features Aesthetic Changes and Performance Upgrades
- Technology Infinix Hot 10 Play With Helio G35 SoC Officially Announced; Price, Specifications
- Finance What is Cheque Bounce?
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Lakshadweep In April 2021
We all may have heard the sentence- "I bought this for the price of peanuts". When someone tells this, they are actually implying that they bought something at a very cheap price.
Groundnuts, also called peanuts, are often available cheap and hence they are used to imply anything which doesn't cost much. But they sure do pack a punch when it comes to health benefits.
Groundnuts are the cheapest nuts available to humans. They are full of protein and other minerals. They are loved by everyone and can be eaten in many ways - roasted, boiled, steamed or shelled.
They are added to our favourite chocolates to deliver a bite and a nutty taste. They are also made into peanut butter, which is a popular topping on toast for breakfast. A serving of peanut butter along with a toast in the morning will provide us with the much-needed energy and protein boost for the rest of the day.
Salted peanuts, although an unhealthy version of the nut, is a favourite snack for TV binging on the weekends.
Groundnuts are legumes which are full of protein. The oil extracted from groundnuts is also a very popular medium of cooking, as it contains high amounts of healthy fats. Groundnuts have other amazing health benefits. Read on to know more.
Here are a few amazing health benefits of groundnuts, which you surely weren't aware of before-
1) It Lowers Bad Cholesterol-
Groundnuts are often ignored for their fat content. But the truth is that they contain both good and bad fats, which help maintain a healthy heart. They prevent cholesterol deposits in the arteries of the blood, thus reducing the risk of cardiac arrests.
2) Reduces The Risk Of Strokes-
Groundnuts contain high amounts of HDL, which is known as good cholesterol. They also contain heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids which lower bad cholesterol and keep our arteries clean. Make sure to avoid the salted version though.
3) Prevents Gall Bladder Disease-
Gall bladder diseases, especially gallstones are on the rise. Most people do not realise that they are suffering from gall bladder diseases as they may not develop symptoms at all. But once, they are diagnosed for the disease, the gall bladder has to be removed.
Peanuts are known to prevent gall bladder diseases as they are low in fat and cholesterol, which often play a key role in developing gall bladder diseases.
4) Prevents Weight Gain-
As peanuts are good in protein and low in calories; they can be eaten before a meal in order to lower appetite. They can be had during those hunger binges too and will keep your weight under check due to them being low in calories.
5) Reduces The Risk Of Colon Cancer-
Groundnuts are high in anti-oxidants and polyphenols which are anti-cancer agents and reduce the risk of colon and stomach cancer. Groundnuts also reduce the production of carcinogens and prevent the damage done by free radicals in our body.
6) Helps In Fertility-
Groundnuts are rich in folic acid which increases the chances of conceiving in women. Folate is said to be crucial in the development of the foetus. When there is enough folate in the body, it is just easier to conceive.
7) Regulates Blood Sugar-
A handful of groundnuts consumed every day can help lower blood sugar in diabetics. Its anti-oxidant properties also help repair the vascular damage done by excess blood sugar in the body.
8) Helps Fight Depression-
Peanuts are known to increase the production of a chemical called tryptophan, which further helps in the production of serotonin, often regarded as the happy hormone. It acts as a mood-enhancer and reduces overall symptoms of depression.
9) Improves Memory-
Groundnuts contain a good amount of zinc which is known to enhance memory. It also is full of vitamin B2 and niacin which enhances the cognitive functioning of the brain.
10) Prevents Alzheimer’s Disease-
Because of its high content of vitamin B2 and niacin, groundnuts are also known to prevent the brain from cognitive damage due to age, reducing the chances of developing Alzheimer's disease later in life.