- 2 min ago What Is Congenital Melanocytic Nevus, A Rare Birthmark? Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Treatments
- 4 hrs ago You Can Be Who You Want To Be: 16-YO School Boy Wears Red Ballgown To Prom, Delighted Twitterati Reacts
- 6 hrs ago Gap Between Second And Precaution Dose Of Covid-19 Vaccine Reduced To 6 Months
- 7 hrs ago Guru Purnima 2022 Trigrahi Yog In Gemini, These Zodiac Signs Will Get Benefits
- Movies TRP Toppers Online: Anupamaa Bags 1st Place; Imlie Witnesses A BIG Jump
- News India elected to UNESCO's Intergovernmental Committee on ICH for 4 years
- Sports India Women vs Sri Lanka Women, 3rd ODI: Harmanpreet, Pooja lead 3-0 series clean sweep
- Finance Gold Prices Today: Yellow Metal Prices Dip By Rs 436, Silver Gains Rs 233
- Technology Xiaomi India 8th Anniversary Sale: Up To 60 Percent Of On Select Xiaomi And Redmi Smartphones
- Automobiles Hyundai Release New Teaser Video Of The Upcoming Tucson SUV
- Education SSC CGL Tier II And Tier III 2022 Dates Announced, Check SSCL CGL Exam 2022 Dates On ssc.nic.in
- Travel Kalahari Desert: Nature's Timeless Masterpieces
Imagine, you go on a night out with your friends and have more drinks that you planned to.
The next day, you decide to donate blood, but when you go to the blood donation centre, they do not allow you to donate blood, because there are still traces of alcohol in your blood!
So, when it is not acceptable to donate your blood with traces of alcohol in it, is it possible to donate organs, if you are someone who abuses alcohol?
Many of us may indulge in a drink or two occasionally; however, there are some people who feel like they cannot function without drinking alcohol.
Consuming alcohol on a daily basis, in large quantities, to the point of getting extremely intoxicated or blacking out is a sure fire sign of alcoholism.
An alcoholic is a person who gets addicted to consuming alcohol and the temporary "feel good" sensation attained from it.
Alcohol consumption can be very unhealthy even if you consume it more than a few times in a month, so you can imagine how harmful it can be, when you consume large quantities on a daily basis.
So, alcoholics expose themselves to various health conditions such as nerve weakness, disorientation, brain cell damage, depression, lowered immunity, liver damage, liver cancer, hepatitis, higher risk of STDs, etc.
So, if a person is a long-term alcoholic who has abused alcohol for years together, then, there are high chances of him/her being affected with a number of diseases.
Now, we know that when the vital organs of the body like the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, brain, etc., are damaged due to diseases and injury a person could lose his life.
In such cases, organ transplantation is performed by placing healthy organs from the donors.
The question is, can alcoholics donate organs to the people in need? With the Organ Donation Day just around, let us find out!
Alcoholics And Organ Donation
Organ transplantation is an extremely advanced and complicated procedure which has been used to save many lives across the globe.
When a patient's vital organ is damaged, either due to the development of a disease in that organ, accidents that cause injury to the organ, etc., doctors try to immediately replace the damaged organ with a healthy one, acquired by a donor.
Usually, organ donation is done after a healthy person passes away. Some organs like the liver and the kidney can be donated while the donor is still alive.
Now, if a person who abuses alcohol wants to donate an organ, it may not be possible in most cases, because usually, alcoholics have certain ailments.
In most alcoholics, liver diseases and nervous disorders are apparent, so their organs may not be healthy enough to be donated to a patient.
However, after conducting tests, if the doctors feel that an alcoholic's organs are healthy enough, he can still donate.
There are a number of rules that must be followed before and after donation.
They must stop consuming alcohol months before a donation is made, as the alcohol in the body may interfere with the surgery.
In addition, if an alcoholic donates an organ while still alive, he/she should quit drinking, because the body may not be able to handle alcohol, after donating a vital organ!
So, if you are an alcoholic or someone who drinks on a regular basis and you want to donate organs, it is important to talk to a doctor and have tests conducted before a decision can be made.
- wellnessWhat Happens After Coronavirus Enters The Body? Everything You Need To Know
- prenatalWhat Happens To Your Organs During Pregnancy
- news14 Month Old From Surat Is The Youngest Organ Donor
- wellnessOrgan Donation Day: Consider These Factors While Donating Organs
- wellnessOrgan Donation Day; Important Organs That You Can Donate
- newsBengaluru’s Top Hospitals Join Hands To Spread Awareness On Organ Donation
- wellnessPain In Each Tooth Can Predict Problems In Certain Organs; Read To Find Out
- wellnessPress These Spots On Your Ear & See What Happens!
- wellnessOrgan Donation Day: Facts You Need To Know About Organ Donation
- wellnessWhat Happens When You Donate Organs
- wellnessParsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose) To Stimulate Reproductive Organs
- diet fitnessDisadvantages Of Extreme Dieting