Injuries caused by a paper cut, a scrape or a small wound can cause bleeding, which is very common. But, even the minor bleeding caused by cuts and wounds needs to be stopped. Bleeding can create pain in the wounded area when you don't have a first-aid around.
If it is a minor cut or scrape, the blood starts clotting quickly, but sometimes it may rise in profuse bleeding. Also, sometimes, due to the location of the wound or the health of an individual, bleeding just doesn't stop.
Bleeding can trigger anxiety and fear, but it has a healing process. In cases of moderate blood loss, the bleeding person may feel light-headed or nauseous.
Bleeding also serves as a useful function because it helps to clean the wound from inside. One can't always judge the seriousness of a cut by the amount it bleeds. Cuts on the head, face and mouth may bleed a lot because those areas contain a lot of blood vessels.
Listed here are 15 home remedies that could stop bleeding quickly.
1. Tea Bags
Tea bags work like a charm to stop bleeding because tea promotes blood clotting and has astringent properties that will help stop the bleeding.
- Take a tea bag and moisten it with water, and apply it on the affected wound.
- Hold it for a minimum of 10 minutes to stop the blood flow.
2. Ground Coffee Powder
Ground coffee powder helps to stop the bleeding by aiding the clotting process. It is one of the oldest natural home remedies to stop bleeding from cuts and scrapes.
- Wash the affected area, and apply a pinch of coffee powder depending on the depth of the wound.
- Apply it for 10 minutes and then wash it off.
3. White Vinegar
White vinegar has astringent properties that help in clotting the blood. It helps the arteries to constrict and close.
- Dip a piece of cotton in white vinegar and apply it directly on the wound.
Everyone knows the healing properties of turmeric and when applied on a wound, it will help in blood clotting and prevent infections.
- Apply turmeric depending on the size of the wound and leave it for a few minutes.
5. Black Pepper
Black pepper might sting you when you apply it, but it is worth the pain. For ages, black pepper has been used to stop bleeding.
- Clean the wound, and sprinkle some black pepper on the bleeding area.
- If you can't take the pain, you can wash it off, but black pepper is known to heal the wound quickly.
Flour speeds up the healing process by stopping the bleeding. Flour is a natural moisture absorbent that will dry up the blood quickly.
- Apply flour on the wound and keep it for 20 minutes and the bleeding will stop.
Sugar has antiseptic properties that clots the blood quickly. Due to its crystalline nature, it also acts as an absorbent and dries up the blood.
- Apply a spoonful of sugar on the wounded area and it will stop the bleeding.
8. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper stings less than black pepper and it is a powerful remedy to stop bleeding. It has antiseptic properties and clots the blood faster.
- Sprinkle a little bit of cayenne powder in the wound.
- Wait for the bleeding to stop and wash it off.
Cornstarch aids in speeding up the healing process and is one of the best known home remedies to stop bleeding. It has drying properties which makes this ingredient great.
- Sprinkle a little bit of cornstarch on the cut.
- Once the blood dries up, wash it off with water.
10. Salt Water
Salt is a natural ingredient to stop bleeding and it works as a disinfectant. Saline water is especially good for wounds inside the mouth.
- In a bowl of water, add 1 tbsp of salt and pour it directly on the wound.
- Gargling salt water will stop all types of bleeding inside the mouth.
Alum is a mineral rock that speeds up the healing process and stops bleeding naturally. Alum is completely harmless because it contains minerals that will heal the wound.
- Moisten the alum block and place it on the cut.
- Hold it for a while and don't press it to the wound.
12. Petroleum Jelly
Vaseline products contain petroleum jelly and a blend of oils and waxes that can be used to protect the skin. Vaseline forms a protective layer over the wound and stops the bleeding.
- Clean the wound, and apply petroleum jelly on the wound.
- After the bleeding stops, remove the remaining jelly.
13. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a shrub with yellow flowers. Witch hazel is known to stop the bleeding externally by applying it to the wound. It disinfects the cut when applied instantly.
- Dab a cotton swab in a little bit of the lotion and rub it on the wound.
Yarrow is a plant with small white flowers. The leaves of the plant has healing properties that can help treat a wound.
- Crush and grind the leaves and sprinkle it on the cut.
- Cover it up with bandage.
Ice is the most common natural home remedy. Ice when applied on a wound not only helps in the clotting process but also serves as a great pain relief.
- Don't apply the ice directly on an open wound, wrap it in a towel before applying.
Share this article!
If you liked reading the article, share it with your loved ones.
ALSO READ: 10 Indian Home Remedies For Fever
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Face Serums You Should Know
- 4 Must-try Clay Face Masks To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
- Reasons Why You Should Use Sulphate-free Shampoo
- 8 Ways You Can Use Cinnamon For Healthy, Acne-free Skin
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Pimple Popping
- Homemade Aloe Vera Night Cream To Pamper Your Skin
- How To Use Pineapple For Skin Care?
- 9 Amazing Ways To Use Chia Seeds For Skin And Hair
- 5 Ways To Use Mustard Oil For Skin Care
- How To Use Mint Leaves To Get Rid Of Acne Scars?
- Natural Ways To Use Guava Leaves For A Flawless Skin
- Homemade Saffron Pack For Radiant Skin