A strong pair of legs is highly essential for your movement. If your legs aren't strong it cripples your day-to-day activities. You will not be able to walk, run around, work or even stand.
So how do we ensure that our legs are strong? Of all the tried and tested methods to make the legs strong, yoga is found to be one of the best treatment method. Among all the asanas, Vrikshasana which is commonly known as theTree Pose is one of the best known asanas to make the legs strong.
Also Read: Yoga Asana For Digestion
Whenever you have a slight pain in the legs and you are not able to move your legs, the first thing we do is apply pain relief sprays or pop in pankillers. Yes, this provides immediate relief but this is only for a short period of time.
If you are looking for a long term solution to get your legs strong then there is no better option than taking up yoga, and Vrikshasana in particular.
Also Read: Yoga Asana For Headache
Vrikshasana, is one of the basic yoga asanas, which can be performed even by a beginner. All that one needs to have is a proper balance of the legs and the body.
Here is the step-wise procedure to perform the asana. Take a look.
Step-by step Procedure To Perform Vrikshasana:
1. To begin with, stand straight as in tadasana.
2. The arms should be hanging down on either side of the body.
3. Slowly try to bend one of your knee and place the foot on the other thigh.
4. See to it that the other leg is straight.
5. Try to balance the legs. Once done take a deep breath.
6. Slowly raise both your arms above the head.
7. The palms should be clasped against each other as we do 'Namaste'.
8. The spine should be erect and straight and your eyes looking straight in front.
9. Hold on to the position for few seconds.
10. Repeat the same with the other leg.
Other Benefits Of Vrikshasana:
It helps to stretch the legs.
It helps to stretch the arms.
It helps to stretch the back.
It helps to improve concentration.
It helps to balance the body.
It helps in providing relief to those suffering from sciatica.
It helps to strengthen the hips.
Vrikshasana is one of the finest and basic yoga asana but one needs to be cautious while performing this asana. Those suffering from migraine and blood pressure fluctuation should not practise this asana. It is always better to practise it under the guidance of a trained yoga practitioner.