- 10 min ago Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 27 min ago 12 Affordable Christmas Gift Ideas To Make Your Loved Ones Feel Special
- 1 hr ago On Virat Kohli And Anushka Sharma's Anniversary, Their Wedding Wardrobe Decoded
- 2 hrs ago Angad Bedi and Neha Dhupia's Outfits Remind Us Of Raj-Simran From Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
- Movies Dilip Kumar Thanks Fans For 'Boundless Love, Affection & Prayers' On 97th Birthday
- News Kamal Haasan slams citizenship bill, says it amounts to 'discrimination'
- Finance Nifty Ends The Day Higher; GAIL Leads The Rally
- Technology PUBG Addiction Claims Another Life; Youth Dies After Consuming Chemical Instead Of Water
- Sports Australia vs New Zealand, 1st Test: Preview, Dream11 prediction, team news, where to watch
- Travel 7 Beautiful Churches in India For The Perfect Christmas Holiday
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Surely, most of us would be aware of the fact that birth control pills are taken to prevent unplanned pregnancies, right? Well, did you know that birth control pills can also be used for various other health-related issues?
Contraceptive pills or birth control pills are widely administered to women who want to enjoy sexual intercourse, without getting pregnant.
Birth control pills are one of the best forms of oral contraceptive methods available, as they are about 99% effective in preventing pregnancy when used regularly.
As we may be aware, a woman gets pregnant when the sperm from the man's testicles fertilize the egg in the ovaries of a woman.
A woman who wants to prevent pregnancy consumes hormonal birth control pills and the oestrogen and progesterone present in these pills inhibit the body's ability to fertilize the eggs, thus preventing pregnancy.
So, hormonal birth control pills basically contain man-made hormones likes oestrogen and progesterone that can also help treat certain other conditions.
So, have a look at some of the other uses of birth control pills, apart from pregnancy, here.
1. Treats Endometriosis
Birth control pills have the ability to reduce the menstrual cramps experienced by women suffering from endometriosis, a condition in which the uterine tissues grow outside of the uterus.
2. Reduces Heavy Flow
If your monthly period flow is heavier than normal, that is more than 80 ml, taking birth control pills after talking to your doctor can help reduce the abnormal flow.
3. Prevents Cancer
A research study has noted that women who have been taking birth control pills for a long time (more than 10 years) for various reasons, have a 50% lower risk rate of developing ovarian cancer!
4. Prevents Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease is a sexually transmitted disease that can affect women and can cause infertility issues if not treated. Birth control pills can prevent this disease from occurring by inhibiting bacterial infection.
5. Treats PCOS
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal disorder in which the cysts formed in the ovaries lead to irregular periods and other symptoms. Birth control pills can be administered to treat the symptoms.
6. Treats Cystic Acne
Birth control pills are prescribed to women who have developed cystic acne, which is caused by hormonal imbalances in the body.
7. Prevents Flu
According to a research study, it is noted that women on birth control pills have a higher resistance towards the virus that causes flu.