- 6 hrs ago Healthy Foods To Eat During All The Three Trimesters
- 6 hrs ago Republic Day 2021: Inspiring Slogans And Quotes By Freedom Fighters
- 7 hrs ago Parineeti Chopra Slays Like A Boss In A Black Pantsuit And Makes A Powerful Statement
- 8 hrs ago Benefits Of Mindful Eating And Ways To Make Your Mealtime A Healthy And Rewarding Experience
- News Mood of The Nation: 73% polled Indians believe PM Modi handled Covid pandemic well
- Movies KBC 12: After Amitabh Bachchan's Request, Contestant Vivek Parihar And His Wife Get Transferred To Same City
- Education IBPS RRB Clerk Prelims Result 2021 Released, Check RRB Office Assistant Prelims Result Link
- Sports IPL 2021: Rajasthan Royals trade Robin Uthappa to Chennai Super Kings
- Finance RBI Imposes Rs 2 Crore Penalty On Standard Chartered Bank
- Technology Huawei Mate X2 Foldable Smartphone Launch Pegged For February; Full Specifications Leaked
- Automobiles Gemopai Opens Four New Dealerships In Andhra Pradesh & Telangana: Here Are All Details
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Assam In January 2021
Did you know the history of anesthesia dates back to 4000 BC? The use of anesthesia can be found in cultures such as Indian, Greek, Assyrian, Egyptian and Chinese. In early Greece, herbs and alcohol were used as a sedative to perform anesthesia.
Demonstration of first known modern day anesthesia was in 1846 by a German named Wiliam T.G Morton. This painful process of removal of thyroid cancer went rather smoothly due to effective use of anesthesia.
In India, Sushruta is considered the father of the anesthesia. He advocated usage of wines, cannabis to sedate the patient before the surgery. Legends have it that he made his patients practice on pots and fruits before trying on actual anesthesia.
It is hard to imagine surgeries without anesthesia. The pain and the agony experienced by the patients during the surgery before anesthesia would be unimaginable.
Nowadays no surgeries can be imagined without anesthesia. Anesthesia is given not only to prevent pain but also to make the operation easier, faster and non-complicated for the patient.
There are three main types of anesthesia which are used depending upon the surgery. These anesthesias are local, general and regional anesthesia.
Anesthesia is temporary induced unconsciousness or induced sleep in easier words given before and during the surgery to reduce the pain of surgery and other procedures. Anesthesia is normally given as an intravenous injection or through gasses or vapors.
Different types of anesthesia have a different effect on the nervous system. It helps in blocking nerve impulses thereby relieving pain during the surgery.
Today, with the use of readily available safe medication and monitoring technology, anesthesia has become a pertinent part of any surgery. Anesthesia is used to numb the pain in the area or help you sleep peacefully during a surgical procedure.
Let's look at the role of anesthesia in surgery
There are different types of anesthesia used for different type of surgery. The reason behind giving general anesthesia is to keep the person unconscious, without pain, with no sensation or any memory about the surgery. General anesthesia can be given through an IV injection or by gasses or vapors.
This is generally given when the surgery involves below the waist part. It is injected near the veins to numb the area. People who are given this type of anesthesia are deeply asleep during the procedure
Local anesthesia is often given for minor surgical procedure. This type of anesthesia numbs only a small part of the body. It is given as a shot, spray or an ointment. Local anesthesia is generally during a dental or dermatological procedure.
Is used during surgeries is nothing short of a miracle. Aesthetician with varying drugs and dosages can influence the changes such as awareness, ability to move, memory during the procedure.
Essential Functions Of The Body
Apart from relieving pain during the surgery, an anesthesiologist also closely monitor's essential functions of the body such as BP, heart rate, body temperature to make a surgery successful.
The role of anesthesia during the surgery is to maintain pain levels and conscious level during the surgery.
There are muscle relaxants which are given as a part of anesthesia so that the muscles around the surgical area are not tensed and doctors can perform their task easily
Does Not Cause Complications
Anesthesia is quite unique in the sense that is not a direct surgical treatment but it helps to treat, cure during the surgery without causing pain or complications to the body.
Anesthesia given during the surgery helps in the pain management. Studies have shown that a well-managed pain during surgery reduces physiological stress and the chronic pain later on.