- 6 min ago Your Casual-wear Wardrobe Sorted Ft. Pooja Hegde And Aditi Rao Hydari
- 26 min ago Almond Milk: Health Benefits, Uses And How To Make It At Home
- 1 hr ago Richa Chadha Wows Us With Her Two Stunning Outfits; Find Out The Details
- 2 hrs ago Pregnancy And Birth: Side Effects of Epidural Injections On Mother And Foetus
- Movies Pushpa: Here’s The Truth Behind Vikram Replacing Vijay Sethupathi In Allu Arjun Starrer!
- News Mehbooba Mufti not under house arrest, asked to postpone Pulwama visit over security reasons: Police
- Finance NPS vs EPF: Which Can Be A Good Bet For Your Retirement?
- Sports Premier Badminton League: PBL Season 6 postponed due to Covid 19 pandemic
- Technology BSNL Installs 85,000 New FTTH Connections In October
- Automobiles 2021 Skoda Octavia India Launch Expected Timeline Revealed: Here Are All Details
- Education Indian Air Force Airmen Result 2020 Declared For Group X And Y, Check Phase-II Details
- Travel Romantic Places for Couples To Visit In India This Holiday Season
Did you know the history of anesthesia dates back to 4000 BC? The use of anesthesia can be found in cultures such as Indian, Greek, Assyrian, Egyptian and Chinese. In early Greece, herbs and alcohol were used as a sedative to perform anesthesia.
Demonstration of first known modern day anesthesia was in 1846 by a German named Wiliam T.G Morton. This painful process of removal of thyroid cancer went rather smoothly due to effective use of anesthesia.
In India, Sushruta is considered the father of the anesthesia. He advocated usage of wines, cannabis to sedate the patient before the surgery. Legends have it that he made his patients practice on pots and fruits before trying on actual anesthesia.
It is hard to imagine surgeries without anesthesia. The pain and the agony experienced by the patients during the surgery before anesthesia would be unimaginable.
Nowadays no surgeries can be imagined without anesthesia. Anesthesia is given not only to prevent pain but also to make the operation easier, faster and non-complicated for the patient.
There are three main types of anesthesia which are used depending upon the surgery. These anesthesias are local, general and regional anesthesia.
Anesthesia is temporary induced unconsciousness or induced sleep in easier words given before and during the surgery to reduce the pain of surgery and other procedures. Anesthesia is normally given as an intravenous injection or through gasses or vapors.
Different types of anesthesia have a different effect on the nervous system. It helps in blocking nerve impulses thereby relieving pain during the surgery.
Today, with the use of readily available safe medication and monitoring technology, anesthesia has become a pertinent part of any surgery. Anesthesia is used to numb the pain in the area or help you sleep peacefully during a surgical procedure.
Let's look at the role of anesthesia in surgery
There are different types of anesthesia used for different type of surgery. The reason behind giving general anesthesia is to keep the person unconscious, without pain, with no sensation or any memory about the surgery. General anesthesia can be given through an IV injection or by gasses or vapors.
This is generally given when the surgery involves below the waist part. It is injected near the veins to numb the area. People who are given this type of anesthesia are deeply asleep during the procedure
Local anesthesia is often given for minor surgical procedure. This type of anesthesia numbs only a small part of the body. It is given as a shot, spray or an ointment. Local anesthesia is generally during a dental or dermatological procedure.
Is used during surgeries is nothing short of a miracle. Aesthetician with varying drugs and dosages can influence the changes such as awareness, ability to move, memory during the procedure.
Essential Functions Of The Body
Apart from relieving pain during the surgery, an anesthesiologist also closely monitor's essential functions of the body such as BP, heart rate, body temperature to make a surgery successful.
The role of anesthesia during the surgery is to maintain pain levels and conscious level during the surgery.
There are muscle relaxants which are given as a part of anesthesia so that the muscles around the surgical area are not tensed and doctors can perform their task easily
Does Not Cause Complications
Anesthesia is quite unique in the sense that is not a direct surgical treatment but it helps to treat, cure during the surgery without causing pain or complications to the body.
Anesthesia given during the surgery helps in the pain management. Studies have shown that a well-managed pain during surgery reduces physiological stress and the chronic pain later on.