- Technology Upcoming Samsung Premium Smartphones Expected To Launch In 2020
- News Democrats to make case against Trump at Senate impeachment trial
- Movies Troll Asks Shah Rukh Khan To Respond To His Failures, ‘Bas Aap Dua Mein Yaad Rakhna’ Is His Reply!
- Sports Thailand Masters: Saina, Srikanth crash out, India's challenge ends at BWF World Tour Super 300 event
- Finance Budget 2020: Govt May Tweak 5% Tax Slab To Include Upto Rs 7 Lakh Income
- Automobiles MG ZS Electric SUV Registers 2,800 Units In Bookings Within 27 Days Of Unveil
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
It was found that old women (over 65 years) who consumed more than three cups of coffee or tea, had shown good progress in memory tests. However, this was not the case in women who had less than a cup of the same. Researchers manipulated other factors such as education, age, depression, disability, blood pressure, medications and chronic illnesses to check the affect on memory abilities. However, they found no changes in the results.
An additional benefit of drinking more than a couple of cups of coffee in these old women was that they were under lesser risk of losing their memory. Those women over the age of 80 were almost 70% less likely to be affected by memory loss.
Karen Ritchie, who led the researchers during this study was not sure about the same result in men. She opinionated that older women might have responded more to the caffeine in the coffee. Their body's reaction to the stimulant in caffeine might have been different or might have metabolized the caffeine. She added that caffeine is a 'psycho stimulant'. This might reduce issues of cognitive decline in women.
However, before promoting the idea of having coffee as a method to decrease cognitive decline in old women, they have to do further research. One advantage would be the fact that caffeine is already widely consumed. The side-effects of this treatment is lesser too. And, the main fact is that only a small quantity is required to show the benefits.
To know make sure whether consumption of caffeine would slow dementia or prevent it, the research would be continued.
So, if you have a grandmother at home serve her that extra cup of coffee that she has been asking for!