- 3 hrs ago Children Inherit Intelligence Mainly From Their Mothers: How Far Is It True?
- 5 hrs ago Single Foster Dad Adopts Five Children To Ensure They Stay United As A Family
- 6 hrs ago Indian Festival Of Holi In Germany: The Colourful Summer Party
- 8 hrs ago Guru Hargobind Singh Birth Anniversary 2022: Interesting Facts About The Sixth Guru Of The Sikhs
- News China reports new Omicron variant of COVID-19: Beijing makes vaccine proof mandatory for public
- Automobiles Hyundai Teases New N Concept & Ioniq 5 N Ahead Of July 15 Debut
- Technology Lava Blaze Pre-Orders To Debut On July 7 In India: Should You Book?
- Sports Wimbledon 2022: Elena Rybakina sets up Simona Halep semifinal with triumph over Ajla Tomljanovic
- Movies Rhea Chakraborty To Make Her Acting Debut In Bengali Film Industry: Report
- Education TBSE 10th, 12th Result 2022 Declared At tbresults.tripura.gov.in, Check Tripura Madhyamik, HS Result
- Finance This Maharatna Stock Fixes Record Date For Final Dividend - Should You Buy?
- Travel Great Barrier Reef: Planet's Natural Ornaments
Lemon is easily one of the popular fruits used in a great variety of recipes. Apart from the flavour and zing lemons give to your dishes, the health benefits of this yellow citrusy fruit are enough to make it a 'favourite.' Lemon juice is a common ingredient in baking and cooking. It adds a certain flavour to your food, taking it to the next level.
While you are in the middle of a recipe, there is nothing disappointing than running out of the ingredient(s). Be it cooking, baking, or making a drink, you do not have to worry about substituting lemon juice because we've got your back.
There are many different substitutes for lemon juice you can try before making yet another trip to the store. Read on to know and choose the best substitutes for lemon juice.
1. Lime Juice
No lemon and lime are not the same. Limes are small, round, and green, while lemons are usually larger, oval-shaped, and bright yellow. Both fruits are acidic and sour, but lemons tend to be sweeter, while limes have a more bitter flavour . However, lime juice can be used as an identical replacement for lemon juice.
Substitute lime juice for lemon juice in equal amounts (1:1 ratio).
2. Orange Juice
Another go-to when you forgot to buy lemons from the store is orange juice. It is less acidic, sweeter, and less tart than lemon juice, and has a different flavour profile as well. If you want to use orange juice instead of the lemon juice where it is required in large amounts, there will be a difference in the end-flavour.
Substitute orange juice for lemon juice in equal amounts (1:1 ratio).
3. Citric Acid
Citric acid is a weak acid that is found naturally in all citrus fruits . The naturally occurring acid in lemon juice, in powder form, is a great lemon juice substitute. One of the benefits of using citric acid in baking is that it may prevent certain vitamins and antioxidants from being destroyed .
One teaspoon (5 g) of citric acid is equal in acidity to about ½ cup (120 ml) of lemon juice.
Note: As it is a bit more citric, only a small amount is required.
4. Lemon Zest
The difference between lemon zest and lemon peel is that zest is purely made of the very outermost layer of the citrus fruit, composed of flavedo (outer skin layer) and no bitterness . Frozen or dried lemon zest can serve as a concentrated source of lemon flavour and acidity. You can prepare lemon zest at your own home; all you need is a box grater and a lemon.
Substitute lemon zest for lemon juice in 1/2:1 ratio + replace the rest with water.
5. Lemon Extract
Lemon extract is a highly concentrated lemon flavour. It is available in supermarkets, and only a drop or two is enough to add a strong lemony flavour to the food. Lemon extract is exceptionally good as a substitute in desserts.
Substitute lemon extract for lemon juice in 1/2:1 ratio + replace the rest with water.
6. Lemon Verbena
Lemon verbena is a plant that is commonly used in folk-medicine production . Lemon verbena offers a sweet, refreshing lemon flavour, and some say that it is hard to find a plant with a stronger citrus scent than lemon verbena . Culinary experts point out that when replacing lemon juice with a herb like lemon verbena, it is best to use your taste as a guide instead of strict ratios and measures.
Note: Adding this herb to your food will also bring along herbaceous notes.
7. White Wine
An excellent substitute for lemon juice in savoury dishes, white wine adds a strong acidic flavour to the food, which intensifies the other flavours in the dish .
Substitute white wine for lemon juice in 1/2:1 ratio.
Vinegar is another excellent substitute for lemon juice in cooking or baking (small amounts). It is tart and acidic, but unlike lemon juice, has a strong, pungent flavour and aroma. So, it is best to avoid using vinegar in place of lemon juice in dishes in which lemon is the primary flavour .
Substitute vinegar for lemon juice in 1/2:1 ratio.
9. Cream Of Tartar
Cream of tartar is an acidic powder that has many culinary uses. A primary ingredient in baking, cream of tartar is used to stabilise whipped cream, egg white foam etc. Due to the acidic flavour, it can be used as a replacement for lemon juice when baking.
Substitute cream of tartar for lemon juice in 1/2:1 ratio.
How To Use Lemon Juice Substitutes?
For cooking: When cooking savoury dishes, lime juice and orange juice make a good substitute for lemon juice. You could also substitute the lemon juice with half as much white wine or vinegar.
For baking: In baking recipes, lime or orange juice can be used as substitutes for lemon juice in equal amounts. Lemon extract (mixed with water) can also be good. Lemon zest may also work well.
For cocktails and juices: Substitute lime or orange juice for lemon juice in equal parts.
On A Final Note…
Lime juice wins the spot for best substitute for lemon juice because of its similar taste and acidity level. The next time you think of giving up on that dish because you forgot to buy lemons, remember to check your pantry for the lemon juice substitutes and if you can find one/any in there - don't forget to thank us for saving your dish!
- wellnessHealth Benefits Of Turmeric Lemonade For Alzheimer’s, Depression, Cancer And More
- nutritionDid You Know These Benefits Of Lemon Water?
- diet fitnessHere's One Of The Most Effective Ways To Lose Belly Fat
- disorders cure11 Effective Home Remedies For Leg Pain
- skin careIncredible Besan Face Masks For Different Skin Types
- skin careLemon Juice: Best Solution For Oily Skin
- skin careHow To Use Lemon Juice To Remove Sun Tan From Your Face
- wellnessThis Recipe Gives Results In 72 Hours! It Speeds Up Your Metabolism, Removes Toxin From The Body
- body careKeloids – Simple Home Remedies To Get Rid Of It
- recipesMango Popsicle Recipe: Make Mango Ice At Home
- diet fitnessBest Recipe To Burn Abdominal Fat In Seven Days!
- wellnessKill Fungi And Bacteria In Your Woman Parts With The Help Of These Natural Remedies