The humble sweet potatoes are often shunned for their sweet taste. But these potatoes are way beyond that. They are dirt cheap, easily available and are power-packed with hoards of nutrients which your body will be thankful for.
Sweet potatoes are a tuberous root vegetable which are native to Central America. They are healthier than regular potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with beta-carotene, vitamins E, C and B-6, potassium and iron. The biggest advantage they have over regular potatoes is that they have a lower glycaemic index, which makes them diabetic friendly, as recently classified.
Sweet potatoes also have the unique ability to produce sporamins, which reduce the amount of oxidative damage to the internal organs in our body.
Here is a list of other amazing health benefits of sweet potatoes, which will make them be included in your daily diet, from now on.
1) They Are Anti-inflammatory
Sweet potatoes contain anthocyanin, which is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. They reduce inflammation of the organs and prevent damage caused due to it. The amount of fibrinogen present in them also helps in blood clotting.
2) They Have Lower Glycaemic Index
Sweet potatoes are a boon to the diabetic individuals, as they do not cause extreme blood sugar spike. Though diabetics may be advised to stay away from regular potatoes, sweet potatoes offer a healthy alternative for them.
3) They Protect Against Effects Of Ageing
They are high in carotenoids and beta-carotene, which helps in the manufacture of vitamin A in the body. This strengthens the eyesight and boosts our immune system. They also act as powerful antioxidants that reduce the effect of free radicals in our body, thereby decreasing the signs of ageing.
4) They Are Good For Heart Health
High levels of potassium in the sweet potatoes help in regulating the heart beat. They also improve the muscles and nerve functions of our body. They help relax muscles from strain and help them recover faster from an injury. The magnesium present in them is necessary for healthy arteries and heart muscles.
5) They Support A Good Immune System
Sweet potatoes are high in iron, an essential mineral for our body. They increase the cell capacity to carry oxygen to different parts of our body. They also help in the production of white blood cells, an essential part of our immune system.
6) They Support Healthy Bones
Being rich in vitamin D, sweet potatoes also promote healthy and strong bones. Our body needs vitamin D to synthesize the calcium it gets from the food. This vitamin D, usually called the sunshine vitamin, is readily available in sweet potatoes.
7) They Are Good For The Winter Season
Sweet potatoes contain vitamin C, which helps the body fight cold and flu, which is common around this time of the year. These veggies are also known to ward off cancer-causing pathogens in our body.
8) They Help Maintain A Good Skin And Hair Health
Certain compounds in sweet potatoes increase the elasticity of the skin and help ward off the signs of ageing. They are also known to improve the skin texture and remove dark spots. Sweet potatoes have been used since ages to increase the thickness of hair and also promote hair growth.
Share This Article!
Don't keep all this goodness to yourself. Share this article so your friends can read it too!
Read Next: Top 10 Foods That Ease Heartburn Naturally
- These 8 Natural Liver-Cleansing Foods Will Blow Your Mind
- 11 Highest Sources Of Protein For Vegetarians
- What Is The Healthiest Oil For Deep Frying? The Answer Will Surprise You
- Orthorexia Nervosa: When Healthy Eating Becomes An Obsession
- Keto Or Atkins: Which Low-Carb Diet Is Better For You?
- How To Reduce Inflammation In The Body Fast: 8 Tips
- How To Lose Weight With Avocados
- 12 Foods That Have No Calories
- Do You Know These 9 Foods That Increase Blood Pressure?
- Is Egg And Milk A Healthy Combination?
- 7 Foods You Should Eat When You Are In A Bad Mood!
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating One Beetroot Daily?
- What Are Fructans? Foods To Have On A Low Fructan Diet